Early Season Chemistry

Rebf

Jan 31, 2016
Southern CT
To protect my 1yr old pool, I want to keep my CSI in a healthy place. To do that it seem my pH and TA need to be at their upper limit. However, I was under the impression that I should keep the pH and TA on the lower end of the recommended range for a SWG. As the weather gets warmer (and the water), it appears that the CSI will be easier to control.

In the interim what is recommended, lower pH & TA or marginally higher CSI?

Also, due to early season cold temperatures I am chlorinating my pool with bleach rather than the SWG. I am sticking with SWG Pool chemical goals because I assume they account for salt. If this is a mistake and I need to adjust CYA down until it gets warmer, please give me a head's up.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

FC 6.5 (bit high added bleach last night - too cold for SWG)
pH 7.5 (goal 7.5-7.8)
TA 70 (goal 60-80)
CH 410 (goal 350-450)
CYA 70 (goal 70-80)
Borate 30 (30-50)
Salt 3200
Temp 53f
CSI -0.59 (goal -0.3 to 0)

Reb,

Most SWG pool like their pH to around 7.8. In your case letting your pH come up to 7.8 gets your CSI into the recommended -.3 to +.3 area.

Letting your TA come up to 100, gets your CSI to -.06, which is perfect...

Personally, my pool will often stay at a pH of 7.8 for several weeks at a time. If I bring it down to 7.5 or so, it will stay there for only a few seconds... :p

As long as your pH is stable I would ignore the TA, unless it is way way out of range.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.