Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliChem alternatives?

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliChem alternatives?

So I am strongly considering IntelliChem mainly for PH (I know the chlorine part isn't any good...but you can make it more timer based instead of ORP) are there any other system's that people are happy with? If it's considerably cheaper I would be willing to drop the chlorine aspect of it..as it's mostly PH that drives me nuts.

I know there is IntelliPH..but that's a timer based solution..I would like something that actually measures ph and adjust accordingly

Suggestions?
    11,507 Gallons | In Ground Pebble Tec | QC XHP In Ground Cleaning System | System 3 MM Sta-Rite Filter | Pentair VS-T 3050 Pump | Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C | QuickPure 3 Ozone | K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IntelliChem alternatives?

Others will weigh in, but I will just say no matter what you choose for control, stay well on top of your pH probe calibration. I am not against it in any way, but it will go off cal, and will fail you at some point. With good care an maintenance it can be a wonderful thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I was planning on checking the calibration often (weekly?)

It's just I would like to be able to have a busy week or go on vacation and not have to worry about the pH every other day.
    11,507 Gallons | In Ground Pebble Tec | QC XHP In Ground Cleaning System | System 3 MM Sta-Rite Filter | Pentair VS-T 3050 Pump | Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C | QuickPure 3 Ozone | K2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I just went with the IntelliPH. It injects a set amount of acid every 45 60 minutes (the amount as programmed). Once you determine the correct amount to inject you just run the pump the same amount of time each day. It still requires you to manually check PH once a week, but regardless of what system you get you should do that anyways.
    Last edited by CountyBumkin; 04-27-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: correct time
    20K gal In-ground pool w/spa; IntelliControl, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH (Acid-Injector), SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, Jandy Gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

It's looking like the way to go if I forget about chlorine ..(maybe I should put the savings toward swg)

Does it have an option to plug into a wall outlet or does it have to be wired into the sub panel?

Quote Originally Posted by CountyBumkin View Post
    I just went with the IntelliPH. It injects a set amount of acid every 45 minutes (or as programmed). Once you determine the correct amount to inject you just run the pump the same amount of time each day. It still requires you to manually check PH once a week, but regardless of what system you get you should do that anyways.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know if the IntelliPH works as a stand-alone. Mine is connected to my IntelliChlor unit. It gets its power from the IntelliChlor load center.

I scanned the installation instructions but it is still unclear to me if this will work without the IntelliChlor. https://pentairpool.com/~/media/webs...er_english.pdf
    20K gal In-ground pool w/spa; IntelliControl, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH (Acid-Injector), SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, Jandy Gas heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, that's the issue I'm having with this stuff..Instructions are terrible but I would really like to self install..It should be wasy but it seems they like writing bad instructions and making things more complicated than it needs to be.

8. Back To Top    #8

You'd want it tied in with the filter pump relay - you don't want to be injecting acid when the pump isn't moving or you could end up with acid concentrated water sitting at your equipment pad eating away equipment with no flow...
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I was thinking if would Inject based off a timer or schedule I would line up with the pump..But wiring it in with the pump does sound like the best option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
    You'd want it tied in with the filter pump relay - you don't want to be injecting acid when the pump isn't moving or you could end up with acid concentrated water sitting at your equipment pad eating away equipment with no flow...

10. Back To Top    #10

Thinking about Acid injection points no matter the system....

I think this is kind a dumb question but just checking..I assume with no SWG it's okay and probably best to inject it after the heater right before the plumping goes back to the pool?

And for Chlorine looking at my plumbing I see either suction side of the pump or I have a little stub coming up that was used to tap in the Ozone...Can I tap that same stub?

11. Back To Top    #11

The instructions say to mount the IntelliPH after heater (before SWG, if you have one) on the return side plumbing. The IntelliPH uses an injection nozzle that is installed to 1-1/2 or 2" PVC via a saddle clamp. I don't know what your Chlorine nozzle looks like (does it extend into the pipe with a directional nozzle), if the existing tap has the correct thread size for the Chlorine line/nozzle to thread onto it should work. But I think the Chlorine "should be" injected on the return line after the equipment (pump/heater) just like where a SWG would go so there is not a concentrated stream of chlorine going through your equipment.

12. Back To Top    #12

^

Thanks

I was just scoping places out in the plumping that I could tap into cleanly and easily...there is very little plumbing exposed on the return side..it basically goes back into the ground right away.

I'm assuming the stub I have for the Ozone is tapped into the return line..perhaps this is what I should use. (My Ozone is still in use..though not sure if that matters)