VS pump vs one speed worth the $?

Mar 23, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseam here, but was wondering if we should install a VS pump vs the one speed written in a contract? The contract is for Pentair 1.5 Whisperflo and the cost for a Pentair VS upgrade is $600. We are building a very basic pool, rectangular 14x32 with 6' of that being a sunshelf, so only approx 12K gallons. No spa or water features other than 2 bubblers on the sun shelf.

Thanks!
Keri

Oh, and I'll get a fancy signature when we complete our build :).

One consideration that isn't mentioned here much is the noise. A VS running at low speed is nearly silent. If your pump is going to be within hearing distance of your pool, I would go for the VS one.

Yes, it is worth it. A 1-1/2 hp whisperflow will use about 2000 watts when running. You can run a VS pump at about 1200 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG and it will use less than 200 watts.

I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm and it uses 150 watts. My electricity is 10.25c/kWh and I can run my pump 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.