Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 pH reading off the scale?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question TF-100 pH reading off the scale?

I have been trying to measure the pH in my pool using the TF-100 test kit. I've been using the TF-100 test kit for several years, and this is the first year I've had this problem. I fear the pH of my pool is totally out of whack.

My first test showed that the color of the sample after 5 drops of the reagent was yellow. It looked more like the reading for the chlorine test. I verified I was using the correct reagent and tested again. I realized I was using reagent from about a year ago. So, I ordered a complete test kit refill. Now that I have fresh chemicals, I tried the test again. I'm still getting yellow. As a test, I took a sample from our kitchen faucet. It tested to 6.8 which seems reasonable. So, the test kit is working.

But, I don't know how to interpret the yellow color when testing the pool water. Does it mean way too high, way too low or unable to determine?

I have a Hayward pH sensor. Initially, it was saying the pH was high at about 8.3-8.4. After putting in some acid, the sensor said the pH was still very high. I brought sensor in, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. The reading came down to 7.4-7.5. But, when I took a sample (from the Sense and Dispense outlet), I got the same yellow reading for pH. The pH sensor is almost 5 years old. So, I've ordered a replacement.

But, I am totally stumped on whether use acid to lower the pH or to raise pH with borax.
    Vince L
    16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, EcoStar VS pump, Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Sense & Dispense pH control, Aqua Connect, PS-8 & Aqua Pod Remotes, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 pH reading off the scale?

http://www.poolandspa.com/page784.htm

If you get a yellow result, you have a low pH or acidic water. If the color is a deep purple, your pH is too high
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pH is low. DO NOT add acid.

You need to raise the pH now or as close to it as possible. Its gone on a while, but this is important. Do you have the products on hand to do it? Borax is good. Please let us know ASAP.

We can addres the probe later, but do not let it control anything yet. Unplug the pump..whatever just take it out of the loop.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What's the TA? I would imagine that the TA is also very low.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

5. Back To Top    #5

If I am not mistaken, very high chlorine level can bleach out results of PH test. May need to dilute test water and retest? Chlorine level high? Slamming?
    16,000 gallon in-ground, plaster
    Jandy 460 Cartridge filter
    Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by troymeboy View Post
    If I am not mistaken, very high chlorine level can bleach out results of PH test. May need to dilute test water and retest? Chlorine level high? Slamming?
    So I retract my comment as 1) high chlorine over 10 ppm may gave a false purple endpoint and 2) you would add one drop of R-007 to neutralize high chlorine, not dilute.

Phenol red turns yellow at PH 6.8
    16,000 gallon in-ground, plaster
    Jandy 460 Cartridge filter
    Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for everyone's quick responses. I had a done a quick search and didn't find the info about what yellow means in the pH test. And, I've been having Internet problems since yesterday afternoon; the cable guy is supposed to be here at noon.

Last night I added about 7 lbs. of Borax and after about an hour of running the pump got the pH up to between 6.8 and 7.0. I put another 1 lb. of Borax in and ran the pump for another hour. This morning the pH is 7.0. I have another 8 lbs. of Borax on-hand; so I can raise pH further if needed. I'm running the chlorine generator which should raise the pH some more.

Doing some backward calculations using Pool Math, I figure the pH must have been down to around 6.1. The TA is 80 so I'm good there, and the FC is 6 with 0 CC.

The Hayward pH probe is reporting a pH of 10.2 . It was stored in the house over the winter in its storage module with water in it. But, it is from 2012 so I guess it is past its useful life. I'll have a new one from PoolSupplyWorld next week.
    Vince L
    16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, EcoStar VS pump, Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Sense & Dispense pH control, Aqua Connect, PS-8 & Aqua Pod Remotes, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Aeration will help drive pH up without affecting anything else. Point the return eyeballs up so you see ripples on the surface. If yours is a spillover spa, run it full blast with the bubbles and everything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by troymeboy View Post
    So I retract my comment as 1) high chlorine over 10 ppm may gave a false purple endpoint and 2) you would add one drop of R-007 to neutralize high chlorine, not dilute.

Phenol red turns yellow at PH 6.8
    You cannot neutralize the chlorine to make the pH test work. The act of attempting to neutralize the chlorine actually affect the pH test and makes it invalid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Aeration will help drive pH up without affecting anything else. Point the return eyeballs up so you see ripples on the surface. If yours is a spillover spa, run it full blast with the bubbles and everything.
    I'm running the spillover with the blower on. Lots of bubbles.
    Vince L