Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost for 2 Pentair Magicbowl's $11,480?!?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost for 2 Pentair Magicbowl's $11,480?!?!

Hey guys,

We are putting in an in ground pool with a pool builder here in south florida on our new construction home. The pool has not begun construction yet, but very soon.

We wanted to put in 2 of the pentair Magicbowls which are basically just waterbowls that also have a flickering light in them for at night. The pool builder said this will cost over $11,000? They said the 2 stone columns where it will sit cost $3300 and that parts will be another $8000 or so

I see I can get these online with the motor for about $1000 a piece. So $2000 for 2 of them then $9,000 worth of installation costs? Seems VERY high. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost for 2 Pentair Magicbowl's $11,480?!?!

That seems insane to me
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

3. Back To Top    #3

Seems insane to me too.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I have never seen those before they look pretty cool.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4

How about asking the PB to lay the pipe/electricity for them and you'll add them yourself later?

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    How about asking the PB to lay the pipe/electricity for them and you'll add them yourself later?

Yippee
    This is what we did for our future waterfall. He stubbed the pipe up in the decking and that is all he is doing.

I don't have any other good ideas but thought I'd chime in to say that those water bowls look AWESOME - MagicBowl™ Water Effects - YouTube
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
    This is what we did for our future waterfall. He stubbed the pipe up in the decking and that is all he is doing.

I don't have any other good ideas but thought I'd chime in to say that those water bowls look AWESOME - MagicBowl™ Water Effects - YouTube

Thanks for the replies guys. ok so I asked him what it would cost to stub and lay the pipes for future installation. he said $350 per bowl. (DONE im fine with that price) but what is bothering me is this

So he said $11,480
    $3300 for 24" columns
    $1500 for upgraded pool pump
    So that means the bowls+installation were $6,680??? I can buy them online for $1000 a piece!

And correct me if im wrong, but once the piping is put into place the installation should be rather easy, no?

Thanks all

7. Back To Top    #7

Check this site out- $711

Wholesale Pool Equipment - Pool LED Bubblers

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I am going to suggest that just because you can buy them online for a grand the pb may not be able to buy them for that through distribution. I cannot buy a lot of items from our distributors for the price found online.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

Lots of builders will price things they do not want to do very high. Sometimes it is easier than saying no.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Check this site out- $711

Wholesale Pool Equipment - Pool LED Bubblers

Yippee

Yes sir that's the site I found as well. I said $1000 because you need the $350 motors for these as well.
    the price is wayyyyyy less than what they were charging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    I am going to suggest that just because you can buy them online for a grand the pb may not be able to buy them for that through distribution. I cannot buy a lot of items from our distributors for the price found online.
    interesting you'd figure it would be cheaper as a builder who gets bulk pricing from volume.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58 View Post
    Lots of builders will price things they do not want to do very high. Sometimes it is easier than saying no.
    That is what I was thinking. Stone columns In Texas cost me $400 each for 9' tall ones plus the footing. I would learn how to do it yourself later. Maybe get your house mason to build the stone or do it yourself. 2' tall columns would take a novice a day on a weekend at most.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    even if he is buying them for 2 grand he is still trying to make a couple grand.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Has anyone seen these in person? I like them and am thinking of adding them to my build. But no one seems to stock them.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

14. Back To Top    #14

I havent seen them in person, but watched a youtube video on them! Our builder quoted us $3,000 to purchase and install these on columns.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks, i saw that 2.just wondering how they look. Most companies charge a 20% restocking fee plus shipping for returns. That's too much to throw away if i don't like them

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

16. Back To Top    #16

We are about to do a build and now may skip the real fire.

It looks like pentair uses this technology.

Team Horner

Team Horner Presents: Two Minute Tech - Featuring: Fire FX Water Bowls - YouTube

time for more research and I would think the builder just doesn't want to do the work because he might not understand the technology or doesn't want to be responsible if you don't like it. Just my thought on the crazy price.