Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Caulking question

1. Back To Top    #1

Caulking question

I need to re-caulk the stainless steel pool walls on our in ground pool. It is peeling away and I am hoping it's the only source of our leak. We have been advised to use 100% silicone by a pool guy who admittedly only repairs vinyl lining type pools. So I wanted to double check with my favorite experts here at TFP. Would a 100% silicone stainless steel kitchen caulk do the job? I'm in a rural area and have yet to find a reliable repair person.
    30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Caulking question

I'm not an expert but sounds like it would do the job
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

3. Back To Top    #3

Whoa --

What is your pool built of ?

So its a stainless steel pool. And what are you wanting to caulk? The joints between the stainless panels?

How about some pictures?

How long have you owned this pool?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the joints between the stainless steel panels. The caulk was dried out and peeling away, so we hope this is the main source of our water leak. The light had a leak that was repaired last year and the booster pump line had a leak that was also repaired when we poured the new concrete during the pool house build. The pool was built around 1979. Pretty neat! We have lived here 7 years.

We applied 100% silicone yesterday and will start to fill up the pool again today. My other question is can I go ahead and start adding bleach to the water and running my pump from the main drain only or is that bad for the pump? I know I can't truly balance my water until it's full, but I thought I'd try and clear up some of the sludge while it's filling.

IMG_1632.jpg
    30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting, I thought pools like that were designed to be used with a liner.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Interesting, indeed. I don't think the original owners ever used one and we have never had anyone recommend it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I was of the same opinion as Danny on that.

I would try the Kitchen Caulking and see how it works. I would also look at the concrete wall joint those are dissimilar materials and may move at different rates. That's why its best to keep the pool full so the temperature of those two surfaces stays roughly equal.

Yes add chlorine to the pool and get a head start on your swamp.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know for sure - but in another thread the OP was instructed to use this product on his pool decking. So I looked it up and it sounds like it is pretty tough stuff. Vulkem 45SSL

It's polyurethane. Moisture Cured and says on the data sheet - for "swimming pool decks" - however that may be more appropriate for concrete surfaces. I would call Tremco. They also have Silicon. I would trust Tremco's advice over the pool guy's.

http://www.tremcosealants.com/filesh...lants_0117.pdf
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I was of the same opinion as Danny on that.

I would try the Kitchen Caulking and see how it works. I would also look at the concrete wall joint those are dissimilar materials and may move at different rates. That's why its best to keep the pool full so the temperature of those two surfaces stays roughly equal.

Yes add chlorine to the pool and get a head start on your swamp.
    Thank you. It does appear there is some leaking at the concrete/steel junctions along the bottom (ground water coming in at a trickle. Yikes).. We had the pool closed Sept 20 (I remember because it was the day I had a home birth!!) and water loss was down to about the top of the deep end light when we opened the cover a couple days ago.We drained it only to re-caulk, but my husband drained a little more than what I think he should have. Working on filling it up now. Appreciate all the responses!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah that is a tough joint. I'm not sure there is a way to get it truly waterproof. A metal curtain wall to masonry caulk may be good. But for that joint I would be tempted to call Tremco or another sealants vendor describe your application and ask what they have. And post on here what you find out.

Pictures when you get all sparkly would be great. Not you the pool.

Wait you had a home birth?

We need pictures!!!! sparkly pools and sparkly babys My kids are all to old and have ceased being cute.

11. Back To Top    #11

Lol! the cute wears off fast!

Maybe call a vinyl pool liner company and have them give you a quote to install a liner. It might be $3k or $4k?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe a silicone aquarium sealant caulk.

It has good adhesion and is rated for continuous immersion.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

There are some of these "hybrid" pools around, some friends of our just bought a house of this era and have something very similar, has worked for 35+ years why change.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

14. Back To Top    #14

Good news! We used 100% silicone kitchen and tile on the wall joints and we have no water loss!!! All my equipment is functioning, my new Dolphin M400 is awesome, and I'm just waiting on my slow sand filter to do its thing and get the water crystal clear! Here's to a summer of fully functional equipment! Last year literally everything had to be repaired or replaced.