Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

new to TFP

hello everyone I am new to TPF I have a 27 round AG with sand filter chlorine pool. I am testing with Taylor test kit. I also have a cl200 chlorinator on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep getting green algae over night on the floor. reading are see below.
    FC 3
    TA 90
    PH 7.5
    CYA 30

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new to TFP

How long are you circulating the pump? Are you backwashing the sand?

3. Back To Top    #3

Pete,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all round pool questions...

How sure are you on the CYA reading of 30? If you are using 3" pucks to chlorinate, I would think it would be much higher..

That said, an FC of 3 is pretty close to the bare minimum it should ever be.

There is only one reason for algae... and that is not having enough FC in your water at least long enough for the algae to get started.

Once it starts you need to increase the FC up into the shock range...

See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...art-slam-shock

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Algae lives when there is not enough chlorine. While that a bit oversimplified, it is the gospel for pool care......you need chlorine. Read how to SLAM your pool up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Howdy Pete! Welcome to the forum,

We can get you lined out and cleared up. We will walk you through a SLAM soon as you're ready, so let us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

it running about 14 hr a day

7. Back To Top    #7

how long do I need to keep it at shock level ? It has 17100 gallons. And the chlorinator isn't working correctly I believe and its brand new like 2 months old. and would a half a gallon of 6% bleach be enough a day to keep me where I need to be ?

8. Back To Top    #8

well I just drained it to get it to 30 CYA. I am using 6% bleach about half a gallon a night
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Pete,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all round pool questions...

How sure are you on the CYA reading of 30? If you are using 3" pucks to chlorinate, I would think it would be much higher..

That said, an FC of 3 is pretty close to the bare minimum it should ever be.

There is only one reason for algae... and that is not having enough FC in your water at least long enough for the algae to get started.

Once it starts you need to increase the FC up into the shock range...

See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...art-slam-shock

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pete22600 View Post
    well I just drained it to get it to 30 CYA. I am using 6% bleach about half a gallon a night
    Pete,

Now your low CYA level makes a lot more sense to me...

You can use our pool math link at the top of this page to figure out how much chlorine it will take to get your FC up to shock level of 12. You will need to know how much water is in your pool first, and Pool Math can even help you figure that. check it out...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pete22600 View Post
    how long do I need to keep it at shock level ?
    The answer to that is in here. It's a quick and informative read - I promise! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

11. Back To Top    #11

if my pool is balanced and my CYA is @40 what should my FC consumption be in a 24 hr period?

12. Back To Top    #12

Regardless of the current CYA, we consider a normal FC consumption in 24 hrs to be between 2-4 ppm. If FC depletion goes over 4 ppm in 24 hrs, without something contributing like a large swimmers load, then we start looking at algae that might be trying to bloom.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

So with that said I am going to be going through a gallon of 6% bleach a day on a 17100 gallon pool. how would I keep this up if I was to leave for 3 are four day?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Regardless of the current CYA, we consider a normal FC consumption in 24 hrs to be between 2-4 ppm. If FC depletion goes over 4 ppm in 24 hrs, without something contributing like a large swimmers load, then we start looking at algae that might be trying to bloom.

14. Back To Top    #14

So with that said I am going to be going through a gallon of 6% bleach a day on a 17100 gallon pool. how would I keep this up if I was to leave for 3 are four day?
    There are a couple things to consider in your case. For us manual dosing pool owners who may leave the home for a few days, you increase your FC to SLAM level. That should buy you a couple days or so depending on the heat/sunlight while you're away. You can also use your in-line chlorinator or floater with a couple tabs for a few days. When you get back, pull them out.

Something else you might consider is your current CYA (40). While that is smack-dab in the middle of the TFP recommended CYA range, TFP also recognizes that some location around the country have intense heat/sunlight. Not sure what part of TX you're in since the location doesn't show under your profile name, but here around San Antonio, our temps are about to shoot-up. My pool gets full sun from dawn to dusk. My CYA is at about 50 right now. I will increase it to 60-70 between May-Sept just to preserve FC from that brutal South Texas sun. In doing that, I increase my FC level according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart, and my pool is able to hold FC better in the summer to keep me in that 2-4 ppm expenditure range. So you might consider increasing CYA as well as summer approaches if your pool gets full hot Texas sun.

Every pool is different, so it's something you have to try. With the right test kit, you have the tools to evaluate what works best for you and your pool and adjust accordingly. That's one of the greatest things about at-home TFP care.

PS ~ I use HEB's Bravo bleach, but sometimes grab Wal-Mart's Great Value. They're rated at 8.25%, so you might get a little more kick/results from those. My pool is slightly larger than yours, and I only need to add 1/2 gallon of bleach each day (2.5 ppm) for me.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for your help. I am in Beaumont Texas and it gets hot here also. The pool sees sun about 9 hrs a day. I have been paying the pool store bills for the last 2 years and am so glad to find the site. So I am helping my sister get hers cleared up and have a few questions. ok her pool was green like bad we pulled 30 fishing nets of leaves out of it and add 12 gallons of bleach to it. and also keep back washing the filter twice a day and keeping the FC in Shock. So how long should it take to clear it up. all other levels are balanced.
    There are a couple things to consider in your case. For us manual dosing pool owners who may leave the home for a few days, you increase your FC to SLAM level. That should buy you a couple days or so depending on the heat/sunlight while you're away. You can also use your in-line chlorinator or floater with a couple tabs for a few days. When you get back, pull them out.

Something else you might consider is your current CYA (40). While that is smack-dab in the middle of the TFP recommended CYA range, TFP also recognizes that some location around the country have intense heat/sunlight. Not sure what part of TX you're in since the location doesn't show under your profile name, but here around San Antonio, our temps are about to shoot-up. My pool gets full sun from dawn to dusk. My CYA is at about 50 right now. I will increase it to 60-70 between May-Sept just to preserve FC from that brutal South Texas sun. In doing that, I increase my FC level according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart, and my pool is able to hold FC better in the summer to keep me in that 2-4 ppm expenditure range. So you might consider increasing CYA as well as summer approaches if your pool gets full hot Texas sun.

Every pool is different, so it's something you have to try. With the right test kit, you have the tools to evaluate what works best for you and your pool and adjust accordingly. That's one of the greatest things about at-home TFP care.

PS ~ I use HEB's Bravo bleach, but sometimes grab Wal-Mart's Great Value. They're rated at 8.25%, so you might get a little more kick/results from those. My pool is slightly larger than yours, and I only need to add 1/2 gallon of bleach each day (2.5 ppm) for me.

16. Back To Top    #16

we pulled 30 fishing nets of leaves out of it
    Wow! Your sister had quite a pond going-on there. How long to clean it up? Every pool is different. Some SLAMs take a few days to a week. Really green pools can take 2 weeks or more. Your sister's pool sounds like one of the latter. But a lot of that time boils-down to the consistency applied by the home owner in testing, increasing the FC when it fall below the SLAM level, removing bulk trash, sweeping/brushing, and cleaning the filter. Those things are key. Of course once the pool begins to clear, owner's have to be vigilant to look everywhere in the pool for any potential algae hiding places (behinds lights, in/under ladders & steps, etc). As you know, it's very important to be consistent across the entire SLAM progress.

17. Back To Top    #17

ok thanks but during this time you need to keep it at slam levels at all times right.

Wow! Your sister had quite a pond going-on there. How long to clean it up? Every pool is different. Some SLAMs take a few days to a week. Really green pools can take 2 weeks or more. Your sister's pool sounds like one of the latter. But a lot of that time boils-down to the consistency applied by the home owner in testing, increasing the FC when it fall below the SLAM level, removing bulk trash, sweeping/brushing, and cleaning the filter. Those things are key. Of course once the pool begins to clear, owner's have to be vigilant to look everywhere in the pool for any potential algae hiding places (behinds lights, in/under ladders & steps, etc). As you know, it's very important to be consistent across the entire SLAM progress.

18. Back To Top    #18

ok thanks but during this time you need to keep it at slam levels at all times right.
    For your sister's pool - yes. The same things on the SLAM page (link below) apply to your sister's pool. Review the SLAM page if you need to as a refresher. Don't forget to lower pH to 7.2 before increasing FC to the SLAM/Shock level.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok still on my sister pool. Can I Change from Beach to Cal-hypo 73%? the reason I am asking we are going trough a case of 6% bleach a day that 6 gallons to keep it at shock level.
    For your sister's pool - yes. The same things on the SLAM page (link below) apply to your sister's pool. Review the SLAM page if you need to as a refresher. Don't forget to lower pH to 7.2 before increasing FC to the SLAM/Shock level.

20. Back To Top    #20

Cal-Hypo can be used to increase FC on a normal daily basis as long as an elevated CH isn't a problem. But for a SLAM, using some cal-hypo may not be the best, most efficient choice to maintain the FC. Bleach is generally the preferred method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast