Replacing Pentair 1.5" multiport with 2" multiport

ntobik

Jul 31, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Triton II sand filter, with an old Pentair PacFab multi-port. The multi-port is 1.5", but when I had my pool redone they went with 2" piping everywhere. The plumbing stepped down to connect to the multi-port.

I'm putting in a new heater and this morning in preparation to plumb I unhooked a junction which put a tiny bit of weight on the multiport piping and the multiport cracked. This was a sign that the plastic has become brittle and it's time for a new port.

So the question is, can I just buy the Pentair Triton multi-port valve in 2" and hook things up?

A second question is what will 2" piping everywhere buy me? Right now it's 2" except for the port which restricts flow to 1.5". My guess is with 2" I'll be able to filter slightly more water per hour without the restriction. Thoughts?

So the question is, can I just buy the Pentair Triton multi-port valve in 2" and hook things up?
Yes

A second question is what will 2" piping everywhere buy me? Right now it's 2" except for the port which restricts flow to 1.5". My guess is with 2" I'll be able to filter slightly more water per hour without the restriction. Thoughts?
Flow rate will increase some but energy use will increase as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.