Testing question

I know I am a pain with all the questions, but really I'm not getting a grip on the wording and meaning even after reading the whole PS. I don't understand when it says bring it up to shock level....how am I determining that level #?

You look on the Chlorine/CYA chart under SWG pools, find your CYA, read across to the "Shock FC" column, and that's your number. If your CYA is higher than the chart goes, use the last row on the chart. I'm not gonna tell you 'cause you need practice doing it for yourself.

When you use the pool calculator, for the "Now" FC you use the reading that you figured out from the FAS-DPD test. The yellow-drops test can only tell you "more than 5" but the FAS-DPD test tells you exactly what your FC is. So the FAS-DPD is the one to give to the Pool Calc. Then for the "Target" FC use the number you got from the Chlorine/CYA chart.

Work through it once, you'll see how it goes, it'll be more familiar next time, pretty soon it will be easy. Really!
--paulr

Thank you for that explanation...I think I have it now....we'll see. here's what I got

I just tested the water again 30 minutes after adding bleach and my results were now 18.5, so I put that in the FC box and 80 as the target. It is telling me to add 3.8 of the 182 oz. jugs that I have.....does that sound right to you? I am so scared I am going to overdo something, it also told me to drain the pool down 20%.

That's CYA level of 80. Not shock level.

You can look up above at the Non-SWG chart for the CYA level of 100, then look to the right at the column that says "shock" it's 40, not 80 for FC. 40 would be the target in the pool calc.

In the post above you said your CYA was 90.

ok, just when I thought I knew what I was doing, I went to the CYA SWG chart, the highest it goes is 80...I re-tested again and posted that it had gone from 90 to 100, so I was going by the CYA of 80 with a shock level of 30....I guess that's not right? HELP ME....IF I ever get this down, Drinks are on me.....

Why would I look at the non SWG chart when it does not apply to my pool?

Because your CYA is higher than the SWG chart shows, and shock levels are the same regardless of SWG or not. :wink: (You aren't expected to know that. It's just something you would learn over time.)

No worries. just take your time, pace yourself, and like you've been doing, if you are uncertain, post the question here before you make a critical error (like shocking to 80 FC :mrgreen: )

You're doing fine. :wink:

Well, actually the shock level is the same either way, it's only the normal FC levels that are different. The non-SWG chart does go up to CYA 100.

Now, maybe there's a typo, but you did say:
skydiva44 said:
I just tested the water again 30 minutes after adding bleach and my results were now 18.5, so I put that in the FC box and 80 as the target.
So, you put 18.5 in the "now" box and put ??? in the target...
--paulr

Yes Paul...I was just checking to see if you were paying attention...hahaha! Now that I know I go by the non SWG that does have 100, I did it again with 40 as the target and it is telling me to put 182 oz jug, plus a 1/3 of another....do we all agree on that one? My head is killing me from all this math....my high school math teacher is turning over in his grave about now...lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
skydiva44 said:
it also told me to drain the pool down 20%.
You know... with one of these little Easy Set pools, that is a really easy thing to do. Dump a thousand gallons, fill 'er back up, poof your CYA is down more where it ought to be and shocking to get rid of the algae is easier.

And as long as I'm having this :hammer: moment, maybe you should turn off the SWG, dump half the water and refill; then your bleach would take out the algae in no time (well, comparatively; might still take a couple days). Bring the salt and CYA back up, and you're back in SWG heaven.

Anybody else willing to concur on this?
--paulr

Good news....for the 1st time in almost a month, I can see the bottom clearly! Thanks to you guys! But of course, I wanted to run my numbers by you again to make sure I am doing the right thing.

TC -5
PH -7.5
TA- 170
CH- 150
CYA - 100

FAS-DPD - 14.5

SWG-5
Normal-8-13
Shock-25
Mustard Algae Shock- 54

The PC is telling me to add one 182 oz. jug of bleach and 71 oz. of calcium chloride....is that the borax or baking soda or neither?

It is also telling me to drain my pool down 61%.

Here is my question, I am leaving town in the morning, won't be back until Sunday night, so really can't mess with pool until Monday morning. How imperative is it to drain pool before then? Also, is it safe yet to swim in? Thanks!

In a vinyl pool, low CH is no problem. Don't bother with the calcium chloride (which is not the same as either borax or baking soda).

I would add the bleach, and not do the drain/refill until you get back.
--paulr

Liquid Stabilizer and PhosFree are not even remotely similar. Liquid Stabilizer increases your CYA level, while PhosFree lowers your Phosphate level.

You can have the store test your salt level, or simpler, install and turn on the SWG and see if it is happy or not.

I drained my pool down half way today and still saw a small amount of algae. Filled it back up and here are my numbers

tc - 0
ph - 7.8
ta - 230
ch-120
cya - 60
FAS-DPD - 4.5

SWG - 3
Normal - 5-9
Shock-18
Mustard Algae - 34

PC says to add 107 oz. of bleach
10 oz. dry acid
1 cup 7 oz. of liquid stabilizer

My questions are : Is liquid stabilizer the same thing as Phos-Free that I already have from the pool store? Is there anyway you can tell me how much salt I need to add to my pool by these results or do I have to go there and have it tested? Thank you!

The below post disappeared while I was typing my response....

skydiva44 said:
Ok, I drained my pool down today, and as it got lower I could still see a little algae... filled it back up and these are my current #'s.

tc - 0
ph- 7.8
ta - 230
ch -120
cya - 60
FAS-DPD- 4.5

SWG 1
Normal 1-3
Shock 10
Mustard algae 12

PC says add a 182 oz. jug of bleach
1 cup 7 oz Liquid Stabilizer

My questions are: Is Liquid Stabilizer the same as Phos-Free that I already have from the store?
Will I have to go to the store to see how much salt I need to add or can you tell me that from my tests?

The numbers in bold don't look right....

If you see algae, you need to shock. Brush the algae while the pool is at shock level. If your CYA is currently 60, your shock level is 24.

But first lower your PH down to 7.2 with PH down (dry acid) or Muratic Acid.

Liquid stabilizer is not the same as phos-free.

There is no reason to buy liquid stabilizer. If you can find a 1 lb bag of Dichlor powder shock, you can use 1 bag and it will raise your CYA into the recommended range for an SWG.

We cannot tell from your tests how much salt you have, you need to do a salt test.

After your FC is holding overnight, and you allow the FC levels to drop to normal levels, you have added salt, and your SWG is operating, you will need to lower your TA to prevent the PH from continously rising - read How to Lower TA.

I would not use the SWG until the FC holds overnight, use bleach to reach shock level. You can use the SWG to help maintain it, but it needs to be off to perform an overnight FC loss test.

high chlorine levels will make the PH read a false high, you need to lower it down to 7.2 BEFORE you begin shocking. Do not try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.