Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair 460737 400K BTU propane.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair 460737 400K BTU propane.

I want very much to pull the trigger on a new, more efficient heater, the MasterTemp because the footprint is small and should be close to being a drop-in replacement.

However, there are some comments that give me pause:

1) They seem to be prone to being damaged in transit.

2) They've also been criticized as being the most noisy heaters.

Experiences, please?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair 460737 400K BTU propane.

I believe that is the kind of Heater I have and it is very noisy. I am not sure if other are quitter but min sound like a large truck when it starts. I know it so loud because it has blower to feed the flames. This is my first so I cannot speak comparatively. But it dose do a good job of heating up our water quickly.

Hope this helps a little I know there are others with more knowledge to help with this.

Good Luck
    ~16000 GAL, 16X34 Rectangle 3' 9" to 5' 5" depth, W/ 7'X7' Spa, IG Gunite, Quartz Plaster, 3.0 HP VS Pump, Air Blower for Spa, Pentair 400 BTU Gas Fired Water Heater, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, Mechanical Overfill, Paramount In-Pool Cleaning System. Intellatouch 4, 2 Intellbrite 5G LED Color Changing Lights in Pool and 1 Intellbrite 5G LED Color Changing Lights in Spa, 4 Deck Jets. Build in Progress

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe I have the same, and I'm not sure about the noise part.

I can say, when the heat is activated you hear a low frequency "swoosh" but that's it. I can tell it's running thereafter, but I don't consider it any louder than my 2HP Northstar.
    45,000 gallon (18x49) in ground plaster in Houston. [Gallery]
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 w wireless remote, Hayward TigerShark QC, & Taylor 2006c

4. Back To Top    #4

Wellersl,

I had my pool built only 4 years ago and I have the Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. I never had a heater before or a pool so I have nothing to compare it to but I can say it really heats up the water fast. I have a 6' x 8' spa and It takes me about 30 minutes to go from 70 to 102. Not sure of the exact timing but it is pretty quick! Heating my 20 x 40 pool is a different story. If you are heading into the weekend and you know you will have guests you turn it on Friday morning. As far as the noise it is loud when it starts, basically it is like if you left the gas on in your gas grill for a minute then ignited it- wooosh! That is the sound of a big flame. Then it is pretty quiet. I will mention that my first heater developed a problem several months after installation- it would not ignite. The pool guy tried everything, then he called in an expert and he had no luck. In the end the unit was replaced (free under my warranty) and the replacement has always worked well. Except for the mice. One fall the mice got in and chewed up some stuff and I needed a new igniter and just this spring I discovered mice had taken over in the winter and for now I am out of commission. I wish they could make the unit mouseproof. Please Pentair make a mouseproof version of this heater!!!
    20' x 40' in-ground gunite pool with 6' x 8' connected spa. Aquamatic hydramatic automatic pool cover, 2- Pentair IntelliFlo pumps (filter, jets), Pentair Filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 propane heater, Pentair IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Air Supply spa blower, Jandy Aqualink RS controller, Aqualink RS pad, Spalink RS pad.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Rodents love these units. The set up house and chew up everything insight. Use mothballs to help keep them out.

I would say if you have the space, go with e Raypak. Fewer parts which means less repairs down the road.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

6. Back To Top    #6

Good to know about the rodents, I'll need to inspect.

Another way to think of the sound is if you left the gas on in your grill with the lid on. Full of propane/nat gas and ignite you get the same whoosh... just no burnt hairs.

For my pool, we heated it over new years. It heated at a rate of about 1*/hr for my large pool.
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The mice do seem to like the Pentairs from my experience and the threads on here. I'm not sure how the other manufactures build their heaters to prevent this but Pentairs are wide open through the large vents. There are add on solutions to this and at least one works very well - see my post here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...=1#post1203413
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GDN View Post
    The mice do seem to like the Pentairs from my experience and the threads on here. I'm not sure how the other manufactures build their heaters to prevent this but Pentairs are wide open through the large vents. There are add on solutions to this and at least one works very well - see my post here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...=1#post1203413
    not that I want to spend more money on the pool, but as they say an ounce of prevention..

thanks for the refernce.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the comments, folks. It looks like the noise and shipping damage are being overstated. I'm looking at the Raypak now, too.

As for rodents, $700 will buy a LOT of mothballs.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Any heater in my experience has been a chance for a rodent home.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

The Mastertemp/Max-E-Therm heaters are only 84% efficient, peanuts. I think you need to step up to the big boy heater..... the ETi400 with it's whopping 96% efficiency