Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump timer

Had a new pool installed last October which I haven't used at all yet. It's by reading through this forum that I came to realize pumps use a great deal of electricity (duh). The PB installed a Hayward 1HP Super II pump (SP3007X10A). In hind sight I probably should have asked for a variable speed pump (unfortunately I found this forum after my contract was signed and not before). The pump runs on 220V and the electrician wired up the pump with a male plug (prongs are horizontal rather than vertical) that I plug into a corresponding socket(also installed by electrician) in my shed. (pump is also in shed)
    I figure I can install a timer to reduce my energy consumption. I found this on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.ca/Intermatic-HB1...termatic+timer

Can I use this? Spec wise it seems to be able to handle the pump. I wanted to ask first before ordering it as it doesn't look like any other pool pump timer I have seen in stores before.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump timer

It seems it should be able too, but I may get corrected.

I mostly wanted to say Hi, and welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

S,

Most timers are built to be outside so they are in metal boxes to prevent water from getting inside.

If your pump and power plug are inside a shed, I say give it a shot. It appears to be designed to handle the load.

I would only be worried if it is in a location where it could get wet.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it is to be located outside where it can get wet, I would get one of those grey outdoor plastic boxes in the elect. part of a building supply store.
    Come in different sizes.The front has a panel that has a rubber seal all around and 6 or so screws.Drill a hole at the bottom to run wire in/out of
    I even use one for my outdoor metal water resistant timer.those even get crappy with time.Plus they also work great for any drop cord being used as you can put the plug ins inside and they stay dry.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit