Need help identifying valves !

So this is a new pool to me. No valves are labeled and It is a pressure type with d.e. And a spa. I Previously owned a suction cartridge type with no spa with valves labeled. So I need some help not sure what valves go to what. I do kno when I turn one valve the wrong way my spa empties
a8f56decc0d0fa6610e3419745a13ccf.jpg

Toe,

I just posted this for another member...

Your "Suction" side valve is on the left in your pic. I can't tell which direction is Spa and which is Pool (Skimmer)..

Your "Return" valve is on the right in your pic and have to assume it is positioned so that Spa return is off...

There are three basic setting...

Pool Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the pool via the wall return openings. This is the setting that will skim the pool the best.

Spa Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the Spa drain and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting only runs the Spa and the water should not spillover into the pool.

Spillover Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting is what makes the Spa spillover into the pool.

Let me know if this does not make sense...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim thanks for the reply . Some of what you say does make sense but. It appears there is 6 setting total three on left valve and three on right? I could totally be wrong but each valve can go in three different places. Also not understanding why my spa empties when one of the valves is set in one direction . Also does the Polaris vacuum run in all settings or just one setting depending on valve directions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toe,

Let's look at the gray valve as an example...

If you look at the gray valve in your picture, the handle is pointed to the left, and the flat "arc" is pointed to the right.

The arc points to the port that is shut off. So in this case, the "Spa Return" is completely shut off. And all the water is going back to the pool (and the cleaner).
If you rotated this valve 180 degrees, all the water would go to the Spa and none back to the pool. If the arc were pointed toward the camera, then 50% of the water would go to the Spa and 50% to the Pool.

In normal operation, I would recommend that this valve be set so that 90% of the water is going to the Pool and only about 10% is going to the Spa. If using the Spa, then set it for 100% Spa.

NEVER turn the arc so that it points away from the camera, as this will shut off the entire valve and no water will go anywhere. Normally there are stops to prevent this from happening, but not always.

The other valve operates in the same fashion, but in normal operation you want this valve to suck water from the skimmer only. You would only turn this valve to "Spa" when using the Spa.

I can't tell for sure which port is which on the black valve, but you can...

Leave the valve as shown in the picture.. Remove the skimmer basket.

With the pump running, stick your finger into the pipes in the bottom of the skimmer and see if you feel a lot of suction. Only one of the pipes will have suction.

If you have suction, then you will know that that valve position is for the Skimmer.

Try it and let me know what you find..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.