Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Only turn multiport valve in one direction?

1. Back To Top    #1

Only turn multiport valve in one direction?

I'm not even sure where i read it but is that true because it could damage the gasket? I have always moved it from filter to backwash (counter clockwise) then returned it to rinse (clockwise) and then back to filter (clockwise).

Would i be better only going in one direction and just go on around?
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Only turn multiport valve in one direction?

One direction is the thing I've read also. The idea is that going back and forth will cause failure to happen sooner. At least that's what I've read.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is on 8th year and doesn't seem to care about direction. No instruction in my filter manual regarding that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Clear as mud huh?? I just googled it and see several answers saying that 1 direction is the way to go.

Woody - I found my instruction manual and it doesn't mention anything so i am with you i guess. I've been doing it for about 8 years now as well.

It is clear it shouldn't be changed with the pump running!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Pentair 261152 MP Valve and I don't follow the 'turn only 1 direction' rule. I don't dispute it but I haven't seen any issues with not using that rule.

Regarding potential Gasket damage (assuming we're referring to the 'Spider' Gasket) if valve is turned in either direction, that shouldn't be an issue if the user is shutting off the pump & allowing a few seconds for the valve handle to relax (a slight upward motion after the water pressure is nulled). The handle should lift the Diffuser (sometimes referred to as the Diverter) assembly upward, not in contact with the Gasket so when the valve is rotated, the Gasket isn't in play regarding damage.

If the Valve Spring is defective, weak, or broken, that would affect the Gasket although it's most likely one would encounter other issues with that, ie, leakby into the Waste/Drain outlet, etc.

One thing I've wondered about regarding the 'one direction' approach, is that may reduce wear on the Diffuser Shaft O-rings & the Top Plate. For example, if debris is lodged in that area, multidirectional rotation could reduce the life of the shaft O-rings & the plate sealing surface.

The last time I rebuilt/lub'ed the MP Valve assembly was Dec 2015. The handle is beginning to show some resistance when rotating so I'll probably pull it soon for a re-lube. I might try the 'one-direction' rotating rule afterward to see if there's a notable difference in maintenance cycle time between re-lube's.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

6. Back To Top    #6

Lubrication is the key word. Just keep an eye on the force needed to turn the handle.
    If it get heavy, then open it up and lubricate. If curious then go ahead and lubricate
    and you will feel the difference.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!