Need advice on leaky fitting please.

Mokes

Jan 14, 2017
Holden, Ma
This should be an easy one. I just want to see what you guys would recommend on this.

Have a Hayward sand filter/pump for a small "drinkin' pool" (don't judge me!):pth:. The fitting for the hose from the filter to the pump was coated in silicone last year by the installer after it leaked past the plumber's tape on the threads. The installer pretty much sucked and I'm doing this on my own this year.

Should I remove the fitting and recoat it in silicone? Anyone do this for these fittings? It was a little loose when I opened the pool today. I kind of thought this might happen and it did.

Oh, one more thing. When the pumpnwas running, I noticed there was no water in the sight glass. I backwashed and got some in there though. Is that normal?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20170415_184126.jpg
    20170415_184126.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 68
I like the pink stuff, it is thicker. Wrap clockwise so it stays on while installing the fitting. I always put at least 4 or 5 wraps, sometimes more. Enough so that the fitting tightens up well before you reach the end of the threads. Then turn it on and check for leaks, if it does tighten up some more. If it doesn't stop leaking take it apart and add more teflon tape.

Ok. I rewrapped, but I have no idea if I went in the correct direction. Still leaked. Little pinhole leak. One thing I noticed is that fitting needs to go another half turn before being tight. That would put the fitting nearly straight up though and the hose work then as it's too short.

If I load the threads up with teflon tape, would that help compensate?

I hate taking this fitting off. I have to remove the fitting behind it also.

I read pipe dope was bad for pvc? That's incorrect?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.