Confusing CC test results with Taylor K-2006 test kit

Even though the kit is new, I really wonder if the R-0003 reagent isn't compromised in some way. The way the CC test works is like this - the R-0003 is a solution of potassium iodide (KI). The iodide (I-) reacts with CCs (mostly monochloramine and dichloramine) to form the triiodide anion (I3-). The triiodide anion then reacts with the DPD dye to turn some of it pink again. You then use the R-0871 titrant to turn the pink dye clear again. The amount of triiodide is directly proportional to the amount of CCs in solution and so the dye reflects that.

The potassium iodide solution is added in excess which means there's lots of extra iodide ion in solution. Two things could be happening - either you have a really large amount of CCs in your pool water and there is an excess of triiodide generated (which, at a high enough concentration has yellow color) OR something is causing the potassium iodide to break down and form iodine (I2) in solution which would look yellow/brown colored. So I think the safest bet is to order another bottle of R-0003 reagent and see if the same reaction occurs. I believe you can get it online with Amazon for around $6 plus tax and shipping.

So, after checking the lot # it turns out the expiration on that bottle was 01/10. QC was a little lacking when putting that kit together. It is being rectified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laughblue: :laughblue: :laughblue:

Yeah, you might say that reagent was a little .... compromised ..... glad you got it worked out! Now we know, expired R-0003 turns yellow...we'll add that to our knowledge base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.