Just finished Ascrobic Acid Clean - and partial drain - Need advice

Mar 21, 2017
West Monroe, LA
Ok- I just went through the AA clean (all went very well!) - now I'm working on getting water in check. A couple of questions:

1. I did a partial drain of pool (see my other thread on it) - and my CYA is 80 it looks like this morning. Do I drain 1/2 the pool again?

2. The instructions for the AA clean said to raise FC slowly...to like a 1 or suggested FC for my CYA - my recommended FC is 6 - but is that too much to add after the AA treatment? I don't want the metal to return just because I'm balancing the water.

Thanks for the help as always - I'm looking forward to getting this thing straightened out!

Greetings, Vexter. After you do the drain Kim recommends (assuming you're doing it right now) I wanted to share my experience re this comment:
2. The instructions for the AA clean said to raise FC slowly...to like a 1 or suggested FC for my CYA - my recommended FC is 6 - but is that too much to add after the AA treatment?

I feel that many people do this TOO slowly and end up with algae.

So first, the REASON for slowly = you don't want to accidentally overdose and get near slam levels, as that will oxidize the sequestrant you just added and possibly push your ph. However, its easy to overdose, because at first, the water will not hold the chlorine if there's any excess AA still in the water.

Here's what has worked for me in the past:

When complete,
1. add enough FC using pool math to get to your normal [fc/cya][/FC/cya] level...but not more.
2. Check n 2-3 hours...it will probably have dropped dramatically as an excess AA fights chlorine and they eradicate each other. Dose back to normal.

3. Check again in a few hours, redose, only to normal.

4. Rinse and repeat ;) AKA Keep at this until your normal level holds.

Avoid getting yourself into a position where you have to elevate FC or SLAM ...especially for the first 2-3 weeks, but generally, always ;) Slamming often negates the sequestrant.

Ok - just reporting back - drain/fill #2 in the books. I drained further this time than last - I left about 12" in the shallow end of the pool this time. CYA is down!!! YEAH!! Was at approx 50 when I tested today. FC is now back up to 3 (just tested).

Only concern I have is the pool looks 'slightly' like it did before the AA treatment. I may have to rinse/repeat on that - I'll see how it looks tomorrow (today was kind of cloudy/rainy here..). The water is also quote cloudy.

If there's anything to add/think about - let me know.

Thanks for all the help/advice!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.