Why is there more than "one" PH test solution?

Sep 1, 2011
I've tried to get Taylor (1-800-837-8548) to explain why they market (at least) two PH test solutions e.g. R-0004 and R-0014. They only say that they are different (duhh!) and they are used in different test kits. I assume the colored films in those kits are coded for the apparent different "strengths" of 04 and 14.

But why are there two strengths of PH solution marketed. There is only one "strength" of OTO!. Right?

R-0004 and R-0014 are the same except for the concentration. R-0004 is designed for a larger water sample. Instead of requiring more drops, they made it more concentrated. The R-0004 is for the big 40ml tube that comes with the K2005/2006 tests, so it's a lot more concentrated than the R-0014. There was also a previous discussion that noted the comparator blocks between the larger 40ml tube and the smaller OTO viewer were slightly different in color, and that the correct reagent might have an effect to get the most precise result. But I think the most common answer is concentration.

Gee that was fast! Thanks for the reply...I guess I assumed that was the case! The epitome of laziness is for me to continue this thread rather than return the R-0004 I just bought, by mistake, and buy some R-0014, but............ So I have just "empirically" determined that my cheapie K-1000 tester vile is 5.5 ml in volume! So if I keep my new bottle of R-0004 and use 0.69 drops of the 0004, yeah, yeah I know, I'd have to catch 0.31 of that first drop on my finger before it got into my K-1000 test cell......but if I over-filled that test cell to the top...what kind of errors would I be getting by using one full drop of the 0004 with the color films on the K-1000? I figure my new 2oz bottle of R-0004 should last at least 10 years (only 9 years beyond its rated shelf life).....but there must be a procedure to re-calibrate the loss of potency of the 0004 for the remaining 9 years that I might be inclined to use it!

Before you judge me as a super cheapo, my other test set up is the TF-100 with the add-on of the magnetic stirrer. A great set up, even given the initial cost, but of course no PH measurement capability!!

There are others in the past who have attempted to use the R004 versus the R0014 by using a couple drops versus 4 from the other. It's like splitting hairs to get a good result. You might get ballpark close with that, but the official TFP reply would be .... use the right reagent for the test kit on-hand. :wink:

For what's it's worth, I'm a Mr. Cheapo as well. Just ask Mrs. Cheapo. :)

but of course no PH measurement capability!!
Oooh, I missed that line. Your TF-100 should've some with a small blue OTO kit for pH and FC testing. If not, give them a call and they'll make it right.

Re: Your TF-100 should've some with a small blue OTO kit for pH and FC testing. If not, give them a call and they'll make it right.

Oh sorry my mistake my TF100 did come with that separate OT/PH test "assembly". I forgot it was a part of the main plastic box of the TF-100.

And that is the PH test that I need replacement test solutions for..... That K-1000 came with the R-0014. I wanted a bigger replacement bottle of the original 3/4 oz R-0014 and ordered a 2oz bottle of R-0004 by mistake. I mean, after all, both solutions, the 04 and the 014, are red in color, what else do you think I should use a criteria to buy a replacement ???? :>}

PART NUMBERS?

Ha, Ha! Tex, your secret is safe with me; and I'm sure from the other many thousand members of TFP, 'cause what member who really wanted to increase worthwhile knowledge about operating and enjoying their pools would have spent any of their time coming this far into this thread!

One last question, I know that I'm planning to return my 2oz (less 5 drops) of R-0004, and buy a bottle of R-0014; but how did you handle your R-0004, return it for me to purchase, (in which case my 2 oz bottle must be short a full 10 drops) or did you work out a conversion chart to use the R-0004 in lieu of the R-0014.

If the latter i.e. you developed a conversion chart for #, of say, half drops of R-0004 is the equivalent of 5 full drops of R-0014, would you publish it on this site, say on the page after "The Pool Calculator"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fyi, you do not have to use 5 drops of the solution. The hue would be the same but the saturation is different. Some people find that they can better match the comparator with 4 drops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.