Swamp Fever...First Time Pool Opening....SLAM Time

That's ironic. When my pool smells like chlorine, I know something's wrong!

BINGO!!!! I've told him that but he says it's just the smell of clean....LOL

Didn't get to check on the pool at lunch, pain meds knocked me out and I fell asleep for my entire lunch break and then some.

I have a compressed disk in my neck. Mild pain and tingling fingers, but nothing like what you're going through. Not fun.

It really stinks to put it nicely, I can handle pain but this has to be the worst I've ever had, even compared to breaking my femur bone just below the ball when I was younger. Can't get comfortable, can't work more than 10 minutes at a time, can't stay focused on what I need to. I might as well stay home because I'm not doing any good here. My right arm, chest and shoulder have gotten so week that if I try to push myself off of something I can't, just not strong enough. To top all that off, I'm only 46 and I'm physically active, lift, etc...Not trying to get sympathy about my condition but now I know what some people who have some like this must go through.

Had lots of rain last night, had more this morning and will be having lots more today and tonight. Looks like the catkins are on round two of junking up my pool. I've had to clean the skimmer basket out 3 times a day now.

My test results from last night: FC=12ppm bumped it to 18ppm
Results from this morning: FC=15ppm bumped it to 16ppm

Skimmed and brushed the pool this morning, changed where my return eye was pointing and think it should do a better job of circulating now. Looks like most all of the stuff that has settled at the bottom of the pool has been right in the center. Need to vacuum once the rain lets up sometime this evening. I'm also have to backwash and rinse the filter twice a day but it's just a short cycle, just enough to get the psi back up.

Picked up some liquid chlorine from Mendards (fresh stuff, was made on 4/8/17) wasn't on sale but it costs me a little less in the long run then what I've had to buy bleach in our area for.

Here's a picture from this morning before skimming and brushing.

34046719611_7bd4357997_k.jpg

I like the idea of the stuff being in the middle. Makes vacuuming easier!

Kim:kim:

So do I when I can be in the pool to vacuum but having to stand outside and away from the pool because of the ground being so wet next to the pool makes it awful hard to reach and do a good job. As soon as I can get a load of river rock around the pool all will be good. I hope???? LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally got out there to test my FC, skim, rake and vacuum. Didn't come up with any more leaves in the rake which is good. We had rain all night and morning, water level was to the top of the skimmer opening.

FC = 12ppm so I lost about 4ppm in a 12 hour period overnight. Hope I'm getting close to the end of the slam...LOL

It's a brisk 47 degrees outside and cloudy.

47 out yesterday cloudy and rainy, today 72 sunny and windy.....Catkins are really making me mad.

Just had time to go out and skim, vacuum, skim, brush and add bleach. I get so aggravated with my vacuum loosing suction.

Before adding chlorine this afternoon I checked my FC and CC.

FC = 14ppm
CC = 0ppm
TC = 14ppm

Add 20oz of chlorine to get back up to 16.

I SO hear you on the wind :roll: it has been unreal here also! One day the pool will stay clean all day long right???

One day it will stay clean all day long!!! :)

So how much longer do you think it will be before I will have clear water or at least see the bottom? It's been just over a week now and it just feels like I'm not getting anywhere. Maybe my filter is cleaning out the small stuff very well or my pool was that bad and it's just gonna take another week.

It could take a little while longer. What is happening now is most if not all of the algae is dead so it needs to be filtered out of the water. You DO have to keep the FC up to make sure no zombie algae comes back!

Here are a couple of ideas to help speed things up:

-add DE to the sand in your filter. Here is a link to it: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter The DE box looks like this: Shop Clorox PoolSpa 24-lb D E Pool Filter Aid at Lowes.com

-put an old t-shirt in the skimmer basket making sure there is plenty of water flow through it. This will also help catch some of the stuff.

Both ways will need you to be there watching until you learn how much DE your filter likes and if the water can flow through the shirt. If you have any friends with a pool see if they have any DE as you will never use all you buy in the box but they don't sell any smaller.

It could take a little while longer. What is happening now is most if not all of the algae is dead so it needs to be filtered out of the water. You DO have to keep the FC up to make sure no zombie algae comes back!

Here are a couple of ideas to help speed things up:

-add DE to the sand in your filter. Here is a link to it: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter The DE box looks like this: Shop Clorox PoolSpa 24-lb D E Pool Filter Aid at Lowes.com

-put an old t-shirt in the skimmer basket making sure there is plenty of water flow through it. This will also help catch some of the stuff.

Both ways will need you to be there watching until you learn how much DE your filter likes and if the water can flow through the shirt. If you have any friends with a pool see if they have any DE as you will never use all you buy in the box but they don't sell any smaller.

Thanks for the ideas and I might just get the DE or I'll just employ a little more patience (it's not like I'm going to be able to swim in the next few weeks or so).

My morning check of the pool at 6:00am.
Air temp 47 Degrees. I need to put my thermometer back in the pool (took it out the other day)Water feels pretty cold right now, probably from the cold weather and all the rain.
Skimmer basket = pretty empty
FC = 15ppm only dropped 1ppm overnight
Didn't skim as the top of the water was free of catkins but I did brush the pool. I'll skim at lunch and brush again, also check chlorine level again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.