SD80 Filter Cracked

Oct 28, 2015
Dudley, Ga
Our pool is roughly 4 years old, I believe this will be the fifth season (second owners). Being in middle Georgia,meet don't close our pool for the winter, we just add liquid chlorine as needed when the water gets too cold for the SWG. Noticed during the winter that our Sand Dollar SD80 filter has developed small holes along one of the two seams. Pressure hasn't been an issue, I backwash and rinse at least once a week, more if the pressure rises. Deep cleaned the filter last spring.

Here's my question: has anyone else had this happen? Possible causes? Is there any way to fix or do we just need to but the bullet and get a new filter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can get some. They're not very big but are big enough to create a spray when the pump is running. It may be easier to get a pic of the spray than the actual holes. They are in the seam of the outer shell of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If water is spraying from the filter housing, you need to replace. I'd be a bit upset if my filter housing failed after that little time. It's a very basic part of the filter and needs to withstand pressure. Looks like Pentair filters only have a one year warranty, but I'd call and tell them about your issue and/or send them images of the failure with complaints.

I'll see if I can get some. They're not very big but are big enough to create a spray when the pump is running. It may be easier to get a pic of the spray than the actual holes. They are in the seam of the outer shell of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact the failure appears to be on the seam indicates a manufacturing defect. I agree with JV you should contact contact the manufacturer. Since your leak is on the seam they may well replace the case for you at least. 4 years is way shorter than any filter I've heard of.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.