Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em"

1. Back To Top    #1

vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em"

They're digging!!! And the PM advised that the vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em." Electricity is cheap in Texas and most vsp owners tend to turn them up anyways....I'm waffling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dig 4/12/17, Gunite 4/19/17, Deck Installed 5/2/17, Plaster 6/12/17
    13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em"

Tell ya' what...............see if they are willing to reimburse you 10 years worth of electric savings up front that the variable will produce for you. Heck...............even with a 2 speed pump. See if old hok'em will pony up!

And over that same 10 year period are you willing to bet rates will go up or down? Ours just went up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Even if electricity were free, I would still run my 2 speed pump on low most of the time. It is 5x quieter on low, before with my single speed pump I had to turn it off when I had visitors as it was impossible to talk over.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

I went with Variable Speed to have more control. The same reason I have dimmer switches on most of lights in my house. Electric savings is an added bonus.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Most old school pool builders think this way because they also believe that you need to have an absolute number of turnovers per day to keep the pool clean (like 4 or 5 turnovers per day). It has be proven that the concept of "turnovers" as it relates to pool cleanliness is not significant - if all you're looking at is water clarity and cleanliness, most pools only need two hours of pump runtime to make the water sufficiently clean such that the average pool owner can't tell the difference between a pool that's been run for two hours and one that has been run for more than two hours. If your adding on a saltwater chlorine generator, then extra pump runtime is typically needed to generate enough chlorination for sanitary water. Even then, most SWGs will operate as low as 15 GPM and their chlorine production rate is independent of flow rate so you can still run a pool pump quite slow.

VSPs are not hokum which is just a colloquial way of saying "nonsense". Your PBs lack of understanding and closed-mindedness is what is truly "hokum"...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

It's not absolute either way on vsp. It depends on your situation. I only operate my pool for 14-16 weeks per year. I calculated my costs and it would take me years (many) to recoup the cost difference. If one has their pool open 8 months per year I'm sure it's worth it. Just my .02 for others who come along considering what type of pump to buy. But sound (or quiet should I say) is something I'd pay for. My pump is far enough from the pool that it's not an issue but I had an old AC unit at my former house. When it died I could not believe the noise difference.
    Disclosure: I don't know what a hokem is but I assume not so good
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45