Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Screwing ladder to top rail (inside or outside pool)

1. Back To Top    #1

Screwing ladder to top rail (inside or outside pool)

I'm going to try to explain this as best I can.

I just had my saltwater 5000 pool installed yesterday. I have an A-Frame safety ladder that screws into the top rail.

If the top rail is 6 inches long maybe 1.5 inches hangs 'out' of the pool and 4.5" is in the pool. There is very little area to 'screw' the ladder to sit outside the pool. Also, that 1.5 inches that hangs out of the pool is not 'flat' it's kind of angled downward. The flat area hangs into the pool.

Would it be ok to screw the ladder through the toprail where the bolts would be 'inside' the pool?

I can take pics if I'm not explaining it correctly.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Screwing ladder to top rail (inside or outside pool)

Lets gets some pics to make sure we say the right thing. Better safe than sorry!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Kim - See below. Can you tell that the first pic has more top rail 'hanging into the pool' than outside the pool. Can I screw my ladder to the inside portion. That is where the top rail is flat. As it gets outside the pool, that top rail slopes downward and isnt flat.

ladder 4.JPGladder 5.JPG

4. Back To Top    #4

Rich, what does the ladder manufacture say? What about the pool company? I have a deck so was able to secure my ladder to that. I do NOT want to tell you to do something that will damage your pool.

You know what? Try calling Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com and see what they have to say. They have awesome cust. service and cover this kind of thing all of the time! Let me know what they say so I can learn along with you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a deck? If not, your ladder should have two parts. One is on the outside of the pool to climb up onto platform and then the ladder that goes into the pool. I've never seen a ladder attached to the top rails. The platform of the ladder should rest on the top rail. Once you screw into that metal top rail, it will start rusting and there will always be a hole there. Most ladders are attached to decking, if you have a deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd avoid screwig that into the top rail if at all possible. Too much flex in those with kids playing on them. To the point of fabbing up a couple of 4x4 posts with a cross bar to screw into on the outside of the pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have a deck. That top rail is an all resin top rail. The instructions specifically say to screw into the top rail.

8. Back To Top    #8

Grab that all resin top rail---rock it a little, imagine a couple hundred pounds on the ladder--------and decide if that's still what you want to do. I predict ripped, slotted holes in short order in your top rail if you do.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

any other ideas though? every single a-frame safety ladder says to screw it to the top rail. how else would I secure it to stabilize it so when my kids jump off it the ladder doesnt fall over

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I really like woodyp's idea the best. Or something similar to this:

Ugly option, big C clamps?
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

11. Back To Top    #11

haha I actually like the C-Clamp idea

12. Back To Top    #12

Mr bruce you the man!!!! I used the c clamps. And also followed the advice of the others and didn't drill holes in my resin top rail. It is quite sturdy. IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpg