New guy with algae problem!

Apr 10, 2017
Sarasota, FL
Hello folks,
I'm new to the site and I was hoping to get some advice on my pool. It's been green for 3 weeks now and nothing I do seems to clear it up. I went to the pool store and bought something called Stop Green and poured that in the pool with a pack of shock and brushed everything really good, but it didn't seem to do much. There was a small improvement, but nothing huge. The guy at the pool store said that product works when the pool looks like a swamp.

When I test with my test strips the chlorine is basically white, the pH looks a little too pink for the ideal range, and the alkalinity is hard to tell but looks like it is ok. I don't even know what the total hardness is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I just moved into this house never had a pool before and I inherited a mess! :(

Hi there Wolfe, welcome to the best pool care forum anyplace!

I won't mince words so not to waste your time: You need to read this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You also need to get a real test kit that provides accurate reproducable test results in numbers, not some color or range that leaves everyone scratching their heads wondering what it means.... The easiest one to use and the one that gives you the most test reagents for the tests you actually need is the TF-100. You can oder if from: tftestkits.net or PoolSupplyWorld.com or Amazon. I think the fastest turn around comes from the tftestkits.net site. Price the same everywhere.

Then when you get the test kit tell us these results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We'll be able to determine what needs to be added or removed to get your pool in line.

In the meantime while you wait for the kit to arrive, remove ALL the pucks you have in the Rainbow device or skimmer/floaters. Add one gallon of bleach to your pool daily and brush it well. Just that. That won't cure you but it should keep the algae a bit stunned so they don't reproduce quite as fast.

Bring back further questions as they arrive.

Yippee :flower:

Wolf,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your green swamp questions... :shark:

What you are experiencing is why most people are members of this site.

Pool $tore advice, testing, and chemicals are all geared to do one thing.. that is to take money out or your pocket and put it into theirs... :cool:

TFP is dedicated to allowing the pool owner to test their own water to determine what chemicals are required to maintain a clear, sanitized, and safe pool.

I recommend you look through our "Pool School" using the link at the top of this page.

And here is a quick overview of our process... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

Our advice is free, but in order for us to provide accurate answers to your questions, we need to get accurate test data about your pool water. We have to be able to compare apples to apples and we can't do this unless you have one of our recommended tests kits. I recommend the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. We can not use "guess" strips or pool store tests, as in most cases they are just flat out wrong.

Most of our pool owners only use two products in their pools, Liquid Chlorine/Plain Bleach and Muriatic acid.

If you are interested, we can keep you out of the Pool Store and you will never have to add weekly "shock" to your pool.

Thanks for posting.... Look around and see if this is the type of place you want to be...

Jim R.

Hello folks,
I'm new to the site and I was hoping to get some advice on my pool. It's been green for 3 weeks now and nothing I do seems to clear it up. I went to the pool store and bought something called Stop Green and poured that in the pool with a pack of shock and brushed everything really good, but it didn't seem to do much. There was a small improvement, but nothing huge. The guy at the pool store said that product works when the pool looks like a swamp.

When I test with my test strips the chlorine is basically white, the pH looks a little too pink for the ideal range, and the alkalinity is hard to tell but looks like it is ok. I don't even know what the total hardness is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I just moved into this house never had a pool before and I inherited a mess! :(
Welcome to the forum!

As you can probably tell, you cannot properly manage a pool with test strips. Pool $tores love them though because it keeps their customers in the dark, and they can push their potions.

All you need is chlorine to defeat that algae, but the solid/granular forms come with additional chemicals that when not managed properly will work against keeping the pool clear.

I hope you take the time to browse through Pool School, and hopefully get a proper test kit like the ones we recommend.

Nobody will take better care of your pool better than you.

Nice to have you with us.

Last edited:
Ordered the TF-100. Thanks for advice guys!

Getting a proper test kit is the best first step you can make! Nearly everyone on this forum has been in your situation. If you read the Pool School articles (probably a few times!) you will understand why it is so important to test your own pool water and not let some Pool $tore clerk (who probably never took chemistry in school) tell you what chemicals you need.

Since I found this website/forum and adopted their processes (over 3 years ago), I've spent less than $40/year on pool chemicals and have a sparkling clear pool.

Keep asking questions as that's what we're here for! :lovetfp: :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.