Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to measure temperature for opening (Syracuse, New York)

1. Back To Top    #1

How to measure temperature for opening (Syracuse, New York)

I have a temperature gun thing to measure the surface temperature, but I assume that when people say 60 degrees to open the pool it doesn't mean what the laser is measuring on the surface.

This is my first year owning/opening a pool and I want to avoid a rough opening, so I plan on doing it early. However, it's been unseasonable warm here in NY, and the water temperature on the surface is 72. Should I be opening? I'd assume we will probably still have some freezing nights in the next few weeks.

What's more risky - having the water this warm (on the surface), or risking being open for a freeze?

Also, I just very antsy to open the pool and get that ugly cover off.

Any advice!?

-Tom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to measure temperature for opening (Syracuse, New York)

Hi Tom! While I don't' have the same temperature challenges you do, I think many people in your area have already pulled the covers off. The sooner you can open the better to beat the algae. I suspect the worse of the cold weather is behind you, although the weathermen have thrown us a curveball from time-to-time.

For water temp, I have a regular pool store thermometer in my skimmer so it's about 3-5 inches below the surface. Does a decent job for me.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Surface temp is not a good indication of your pools 'core' temperature.

Pools should be opened before their water temp reaches 60 degrees. I also use an inexpensive pool thermometer that hangs below the surface. Mine is about 10-15" below the surface.

I've opened clear every season with TFPC.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am outside of Boston and I am opening this Thursday. If temps fall below freezing just run your pump over night to keep the water moving. Water temp needs to be below 32 to freeze. It would take more than a few hours of below freezing temps to ice you up. Many people down south do not cover or close and they get below freezing temps from time to time.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Tom, I am in Liverpool NY and opened it yesterday (Monday) as I get sick of the seeing the ugly green cover all winter long... The water is still cold (below 45-50 I would guess), and though we may have a couple cool nights, it will probably stay above freezing. If we do get a really cold spell, I will just keep the filter running to keep the water moving and prevent any freezing. I always open it early, but, be warned, the neighbors will think you are crazy !!! Hahaha!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Hi Tom, I am in Liverpool NY and opened it yesterday (Monday) as I get sick of the seeing the ugly green cover all winter long... The water is still cold (below 45-50 I would guess), and though we may have a couple cool nights, it will probably stay above freezing. If we do get a really cold spell, I will just keep the filter running to keep the water moving and prevent any freezing. I always open it early, but, be warned, the neighbors will think you are crazy !!! Hahaha!
    Oh now that is tempting... Maybe I will do it this weekend....