Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return line bubbles only when solar system is on

1. Back To Top    #1

Return line bubbles only when solar system is on

When my solar panel are on I have a large amount of bubbles coming from my return lines. The vacuum breaker is chattering allowing air to enter the system. My filter is clean and indicating 10 psi at 2200 RPM with solar off. With solar on it's indicating 12 psi.
    Is there a set PSI that the vacuum breaker should stay closed?

If I select 3100 RPM to prime the panels the bubbles go away. I can't turn my pump below 2800 RPM or the vacuum breaker will start chattering again. I've read on the forum that multiple people are able to run their solar panels at 2000 - 2200 RPM with no issues.

I have 7 panels mounted to my single story home directly above the pump pad.

Is the vacuum breaker going bad or do I just need a higher RPM for it to function properly?
    FL, 15K gal (15x30 rectangle beach entry), IG Plaster, 2010, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, ecostar VSP, Pro Clean (PCCF-125) cartridge filter, IC20 SWG, Hayward Navigator floor suction cleaner, solar heat, waterfall, 2 lion head spouts, 1hp pump, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return line bubbles only when solar system is on

Could be either one. Is the VRV at the end of the upper header? You can try moving it down to the lower header to see if that solves the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The VRV is currently at the end of the upper header.
    FL, 15K gal (15x30 rectangle beach entry), IG Plaster, 2010, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, ecostar VSP, Pro Clean (PCCF-125) cartridge filter, IC20 SWG, Hayward Navigator floor suction cleaner, solar heat, waterfall, 2 lion head spouts, 1hp pump, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I moved the VRV to the lower head and can run the pump at about 2350 RPM before the valve begins chattering slightly.
    The valve has been installed for about 7 years and could be on its last leg.
    Are there any disadvantages to having the VRV on the lower head? I live near Tampa, FL so freezing isn't an issue.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure if there is, but the vrv at my last pool that had solar was located on the lower like yours.

I had only a single speed pump though.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good news. No, there is no issue with having it on the lower header.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Pooldv thank you for the recommendation. Quick fix and it worked.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that prior to this post I've been turning my three way valve to far and when I thought I was using solar, I actually wasn't. This is why I didn't notice all the air being induced into the system until today when I actually had the valve selected correct for solar.

Now I can get the benefit of solar heat.

8. Back To Top    #8

Alright! Two problems solved.
    TFP Moderator