Running pump and filter for first time in 18 motnhs

What is the procedure for turning pump and filter back on after a long time of not being used?

Pump - Add pool water to top, replace cover and start. Is this correct?

Filter - I have sand filter, would it be best to start on backwash?

I have seen a few videos where a bleed valve was opened on the filter prior to turning the pump on, would i need to do this?

Valve - Hayward Vari-flo 711-13
Pump - Sta-Rite 5P1R

Filter - Hayward S244

I've never had a sand filter, but I assume they have a bleed valve. Definitely open the bleed valve before turning on the pump so the air will get released. When you see a full stream of water coming out of the bleed valve, close it and you're done.

Also, it's a good idea to clean out both the basket in the pump and the skimmer basket to promote good water flow.

This is from the filter manual ;

1. It is good practice to fill tank approximately 1/2 waywith water to provide a cushioning effect when the filtersand is poured in. This helps protect the under-drainlaterals from excessive shock. (Be sure the drain capis securely in place on drain pipe.)

The system was drain (via drain plug) 18 months back. So the sand will be in already, I am assuming I don't need to fill with water manually now then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.