Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low TA, high pH - what do I tackle first?

1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA, high pH - what do I tackle first?

Greetings and thanks! The brain trust on this site has already improved our pool care tremendously. I've been testing consistently for the last week or two, and this is generally what I'm seeing:

FC - 5.2
    CC - 0 or 0.2
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 50
    CH - 250
    CYA - 40
    Temperature - about 73 and warming

Overall, the water looks and smells pretty good, and the jets are flowing freely. We run the pump for 6 hours per day, and run the 3 sheer descent waterfalls (which aren't sheer any more, but that's a separate issue) for an hour per day. The spa has a spillover into the pool, so there's a fair amount of aeration that goes on, which I think might be raising the pH.

So, should I add baking soda first to get the TA up, then add acid to adjust pH? or vice versa? Or does it not matter what order I do this?

Should I shut off the sheer descents for a while to try to keep pH lower? I'm a little skittish about working with acid. Is there some natural force like sunlight or evaporation that will drive the pH lower, or does that only happen when acid is added?

Thanks again!

17k Gallon IG plaster w/ attached Spa, Pentair DE Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Heater (inoperative, will be replaced soon), waterfall pump, jet pump, brominator (inoperative), Taylor K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low TA, high pH - what do I tackle first?

Welcome to TFP!

TA at 50 and pH at 7.8 is fine. When pH rise to 8.0 then lower it to 7.6.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Red face Re: Low TA, high pH - what do I tackle first?

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

TA at 50 and pH at 7.8 is fine. When pH rise to 8.0 then lower it to 7.6.
    Great! Thanks so much!
    17k Gallon IG plaster w/ attached Spa, Pentair DE Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Heater (inoperative, will be replaced soon), waterfall pump, jet pump, brominator (inoperative), Taylor K-2006 Kit