Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: to salt the pool or not...

1. Back To Top    #1

to salt the pool or not...

I'm considering adding salt to my non-swg pool for "improved water feel", but I have reservations. Namely, I'm worried the salt might rust the metallic parts in my pool/system. I know the jury is out on this one, but what are the risks of adding the recommended 2000 ppm?

FYI, I don't really have very much metal in the pool itself, just screws in the returns and lights.

How many of you have gone this route, and what has been your experience?

Thanks,
    Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: to salt the pool or not...

I have a vinyl, but after 4 years no problems. The hand rails where tough to get out the first year. Now I coat the rails, bolts, and deck mounts with grease. At the end of the year they slide out with no problem. I believe there are some concerns with certain kinds of stone. Someone else may chime in.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

I vote for the salt
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Received my Aquacheck White strips today. Very cool. I wish all the other tests could be strips like these...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

I salt my pool each year. I start with 80# and then add as needed until the water feels the way I like it. It usually comes to 160# in my 12K AGP. We have a lot of splashout and refilling each year because the dogs drag out so much water. I've never tested for the actual salt concentration. No problems with corrosion of any metal parts.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.