Vacation Pool Care

jk7228

Jun 3, 2012
Austin, TX
I am about to go on vacation for the first time since our pool was built in October (we'll be gone 8 days). I am concerned about rising pH levels while I am gone, but I hate to let a pool company get anywhere near my perfect pool. I am adding acid about every 3rd day and I'm worried about what will happen if it gets too high for several days while I am gone. My most recent pH results are below - if anyone has any advice or can ease my mind about the pool having a high pH for 3 or 4 days I would really appreciate it.

Friday: 7.8 (added acid)
Sunday: 7.8 (added acid)
Monday: 7.5
Tuesday: 7.8
Wednesday: 8.2 (added acid)

Chlorine: fluctuates between 5 and 6
TA: 70
CH: 325 (my pool builder told me not to increase this because it would go up over time - it started at 200 and has gone up to 300 since the pool was built)
CYA: 50
Salt 3500

This is a perfect time for trichlor tabs in a floater. Your CYA needs to come up anyway and the tabs are acidic.

Turn off any spillovers and bubblers as well, as Rollercoastr mentioned.

3 tabs in a floater will raise FC by ~4.5. You won't get close to SLAM value for a CYA of 50.

If there is any chance the skimmer would get clogged (leaves, etc) it's better to not chance it. Some people have gotten creative with milk crates hanging in front of them to prevent such a thing.

If I am away from my pool for any length of time I leave the solar cover on. 1) Keeps FC consumption down 2) Not really skimming the surface so much less likely to get so many leaves that it clogs.

The tabs are certainly a viable approach. I also would consider lowering the pH to around 7.2 just before I left and let the SWCG run. It may be a little high by the time you get back but it will not have been high enough, long enough to do any damage.

EDIT:
It may be a little high
I should have clarified...."it" is pH

How much do you drop your PH each time normally? Have you ever tried taking a bigger swing? My pool is 5 months older, and I am just down the road, but I have similiar PH rise. Though this spring I've actually been able to go almost a week without having to add acid! Yea! I suspect, but haven't proven that the spa spill overs (I have 3 that spill ~1 ft anytime the filter is running) are probably a big contributor. I've been debating turning them off as an experiment for a while now. But they are also a quick and easy visual first clue as to how my filter is doing any given day (even a 5-10% rise in filter pressure or drop in flow significantly effects how much spillover I get) and I like the sound. Ironically I also have a wall with 3 more waterfalls but I only ever turn them on when we actually in it. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.