Confused: 2 suction openings in skimmers. One skimmer both open, second only one

I have an air entrapment problem with my shallow skimmer. To reduce water loss I decided to plug it besides having skimmer valve off.

I noticed that my deep skimmer has 2 2" threaded openings in the bottom but only one is open. The shallow skimmer has 2 2" threaded openings in the bottom.

Can someone educate me as to why there would be more than 1 suction opening per skimmer? What is the usual configuration?

My skimmer s have 2 openings. One goes to suction, one goes to a port in the wall just below the skimmer, I think to keep if from going dry if the water gets below the skimmer opening. not sure this is your setup or not.

The hole away from the pool is plumbed to the pump. The hole closer to the pool can either be blocked off, plumbed to a bottom drain or plumbed to an equalizer pipe in the pool wall directly below the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.