Above ground low maintenance pool issues !

Apr 3, 2017
Italy
Hello guys I will try to describe my situation as well as I can . . .
try to forgive me for my poor english !!!
I would like to install a small above ground pool in my countryside house !!!
I would use the pool only during the summer week ends (1st June to 31 th August),
Tipically I go to my country house on friday morning, sometimes saturday and go back to the city, where I live, on sunday after lunch. At the moment the pool would be used only by me and my wife (hopefully next year from my daughter) and from time to time there is the chance that a couple of friends can came to visit us. That is all, the pool will stay with very little use for most of the time!
My first idea was to install a good quality 10 feet wide circular pool (4 feet deep),
and planned also to bury it a couple of feet and build a deck around, for aesthetic reasons .

This would be my goal but, because of the lack of informations, because very few people have an above groud pool in my area, and because I usually do not trust retailers
I decided to drastically downsize my original plan, because it’s not wise spending a good amount of money, digging a big hole in my garden, building a wooden deck if I don’t know in advance if my project can work !
So I decided to buy a smaller ( 10 feet wide for 2 and ½ feet deep) and cheaper pool,
I will give it a try for the first summer and see if it works. If everything goes fine I will prepare for the 2018 summer when I’d like to install a slightly bigger and much better quality pool .

I have read quite a bit aboult pools maintenance and have spotted a basic set-up to start with, but I already know that the problem is going to be sanitizing the water !!!
The basic “hardware” set-up would be :

a) buy a 10 feet wide ( 2 and ½ feet deep) Intex metal frame circular pool
It’s a very small pool, but it’s ok for my needings, and it is so cheap that
I can easily upgrade it next year

b) buy immediately a 1,200 ghp sand filter
It might look oversized but if the plan works it will be the right size
for the new deeper pool (1717 gallons )

c) buy a intex wall mounted surface skimmer
It will help with keeping the pool clean while in use

I would keep the pool covered during the week with the the sand filter operating with a timer for X hours a day, on friday/saturday morning i would check for ph and clorine with tests and eventually use chemicals for corrections. I would use it for a couple of days and than before leaving for the city I would check and correct ph, clean/wash the sand filter, live X clorhine in tablets in the floating dispenser, and cover the pool for the following week !!!
I know that the hardest part of my plan would be keeping chlorine and ph ok during the week.
That’s the part where I really need your help !
I’ve also thought to add a SWG to the basic “set-up”, but there is absolutely no feedback or informations about intex machines/systems in my area !!!
Am I crazy ? Is there a chance that the whole thing can work ?:confused::confused::confused:

Testing pH and chlorine only, is not enough. You also need to test for TA and CYA. CYA tells you how much chlorine you need so you don't get algae and bacteria. TA is important to help stabilize pH level.
Stay away from the floater. Solid forms of chlorine add other stuff you don't want in your pool. In your case I would highly recommend the SWG. Make sure you buy one that is twice the size of the pool you are planning to get in the future.

There is a lot more research/reading you need to do, so you can understand why I make the suggestions that I do.

Up at the top of the page is a button labeled Pool School. In there you will find out how we recommend you care for your pool, what the different chems are and what you need for a clean and safe pool.

Please feel free to ask any questions you think of.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Welcome!! :wave:
We are glad to know you.

Your English is just fine!

I like that you are starting with a small pool just in case it does not work.

I would put in a inline chlorinator as you do not want a floater under the cover. It will be stuck in place and could cause problems.

Of course the SWG would be the purrfect solution. Have you done a search on here for the one you are thinking about? If you use the search box up at the top of this page it will only take you to threads here on TFP! How neat is that?

With the small size of your pool this might be doable if for no reason other than you can dump the water and start all over again if things go green.

Kim:kim:

Ciao Mikey!

I think you *might* get by if you had a salt water chlorine generator (SWG). Can you find pool salt in Italy? A small intex SWG on a daily timer, under a cover during the week. As soon as you arrived you would need to uncover and let the pool "breath" a bit and then test your chemistry levels to be sure.

The cover will allow you to run the SWG at a very low level or short amount of time as the sun won't be hitting the water and causing a loss of free chlorine (FC) each day. In fact, if not careful you could easily over chlorinate because of the cover.

Its worth a try!

Yip :flower:
La mia famiglia è da Paduli, in provincia di Benevento

Assuming that you can get an Intex pool, I think what you want to do is doable. I think that with the small pool size and limited use, an inline tablet chlorinator isn't necessarily a bad idea. A floater, under a cover, is not a good idea.
I would recommend getting one of the good test kits, TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, so that you can closely monitor CYA and FC levels among the others. Knowing the association of CYA and chlorine, following the Chlorine / CYA Chart will allow you to properly maintain the sanitizer level in your pool. The worst that can happen is that your CYA gets a bit high and you have to dump half of the 1500 gallons and start over. Not too much of an issue in my opinion. This may be the most cost effective method and easiest for you. Tablets are not highly regarded on this site, with the TFP method, but they can work if you understand their limitations.
Your only other reasonable option is a SWG. Intex makes one. A SWG can be more expensive and do require that proper chemistry is maintained, so they are not fool proof either.
I would say that you should do your research on the pros and cons of each method and decide which one is best for you and best fits your needs.
Definitely use a timer on the pump to help control power usage.

Thankyou so much guys for your help !!! :D
I really can't say how glad I'm for your accurate replies,
I will study as much as I can this huge forum (or at least i'll try),
but if you drive me step by step I'm quite sure I'll have my trouble free pool !!!
At the moment I'm trying to clear my mind and to understand what exactly I need to ask you guys !!!
As soon as I can I will post again .

pabeader:
“In your case I would highly recommend the SWG. Make sure you buy one that is twice the size of the pool you are planning to get in the future. “

I’ve gone through the whole pool school and have seen what I need to test :FC, PH, TA, CH, CYA and have seen that there is a specific chart for swg pools,(which is great). How to test and how to correct levels I will ask/discuss later, I first need to know if in Italy is readly available a good SWG device !!!
This way I can make the first important choice
SWG or not ?
Probably you guys have many brands and better devices but, in my country I think the only option is Intex (second choice is Bestway). This is the chlorine generator I’d buy :
Intex Model 28662
Max. pool size: 7,000 gal (26,500L).
Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 700-3,000 gph (2,650 - 11,355L/hr)
Chlorine output: 5 g/hr.
clorinatore 28662.jpg
Is this device reliable ? Is the size correct for my actual (1200 gallons) and future needings (1700 gallons) ? Is it compatible with this sand filter ?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
Intex Model 28644:
Pump Flow Rate: 1,200 gph (4.5 m3/hr). System Flow Rate: 1,050 gph (4.0 m3/hr)

Togheter they look fine to me but, maybe, you already know they have issues and they won’t last or meet my needings !!!

Hello YippeeSkippy, I live in Campania and Paduli is just one hour driving from my town :D.

Does anyone have a clue about the equipment posted above ?
I've some issues about the chlorine generator, I've read the owner's manual and The main issue is that it has got a built-in timer
that is not going to work with a programmable weekly timer,
basically the device has to be always switched on, and its internal timer make it work X hours every 24,
I can stand it but it is not the best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main issue is that it has got a built-in timer
that is not going to work with a programmable weekly timer,
basically the device has to be always switched on, and its internal timer make it work X hours every 24,
I can stand it but it is not the best.

I have one plugged into a programmable timer. It comes on immediately any time the programmable timer kicks on and runs for however many hours you have it set for. Basically, this overrides its own 24-hour timer. It works perfectly.

Thankyou very much guys for your support !!!

Pabeader : The chlorinator above is already oversized for my pool, and this thing as long as i understand from your words is going to be a pros . I was only worried by the amount of chlorine produced, but jeffchap helped a lot reporting is experience with a programmable timer !!!

At the moment my first step is going to be a serious kit for tests. I’m going to buy the following one : Taylor k-6000 ( the only one among the three recommended available for shipping to Italy through ebay.com).
One question about the test, does the Kit have enough reagents for all the season ?
Or should I buy additional reagents so that i can combine the shipping from the same seller ?

Second step will be testing my water supply to understand what chemicals I need for balancing the water.

In the meantime I will buy pool, sand filter and chlorinator ... any objection ???

The K2006c will be worth the extra cost in the long run.

The cost seems like a big outlay to start with but will end up saving you money as you'll only add exactly whats needed rather than what someone is trying to sell you often without just cause.

Once you get the hang of it and learn what makes your pool happy, you don't need to test every day. I'll run a FAS-DPD test maybe once per week and just do an OTO drop test every day or two in between. My TF-100 lasted all year last year and still has reagent left.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.