Iron stains-Overwhelmed and Frustrated

Jul 17, 2007
I have iron stains that have reappeared again. :rant:
I had used the ascorbic acid treatment and then added MetalFree by Natural Chemistry to remove the iron from the well water. (I did this last season with good results) It all worked great, but, after a few weeks now, I was raising slowly to shock level and at 10 ppm chlorine level, the horrible stains are back!
I have added a double maintenance dose of MetalFree and stopped the chlorine addition. Will this remove my stains or should I add more of the MetalFree? Do I have to start over with the stain treatments? :roll:

my readings:
FC 10
CC 0-.5
ph 7.0
TA 90-100
CH 260
CYA 35

Thanks so much for your help

JasonLion said:
Usually adding sequestrant the moment the stains appear will remove them again over several hours. Keeping PH low, as it already is, and letting FC come down will both help the sequestrant work.

I will give this a try. I know that the staining only started late in the day yesterday and i should have added the MetalFree then, it was raining and I just did not go check the pool at dark--my bad there. :hammer:
thanks for the help

sandysbiz said:
:oops: My CC is usually .5 or less. Does that mean that I would not need to shock at all?

That's the beauty of BBB and your own test kit. :wink: :goodjob:

Last time I shocked was before I went on a 10 day vacation, and before that it was to close my pool for winter. Before that....I don't remember, vacation the summer before? :mrgreen:

posting an update..my stains are a little lighter, but still there. The FC is 6.5 all other tests were unchanged and per my prior post.
JasonLion: I do not see the sequestered iron laying in the bottom of the pool as it would normally do when there was an iron build up. I will continue to let the FC come down. Sunshine is out today, so that will help my process. :mrgreen:
Should I add any more of the metalfree or will it continue to lighten the stains as the FC drops? I had waited 6 days between the maintenance dose, I guess I should do it every 4-5 days. Am I on the right track now?

frustratedpoolmom, you are so right about the test kit. I have the TF test kit and I am finally in control of my pool, not my pool in control of me.
When I get a handle on the iron problem, it will be perfect.

reebok: thanks for the link I had not understood it correctly, and this helps 8)

Thank you to all who participate here at the forum, I have changed from baquacil a few years ago and LOVING IT !!! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.