Help! Pool leaking!

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Opened the pool yesterday, and everything seemed okay except a small leak from the top of the sand filter. I shocked and balanced the water, then left at 3pm. When I came back about 7 hours later, the water was barely clearing the skimmer. I quickly turned off the pump, thinking I had narrowly escaped burning it out. Since it was 10pm, I went to bed, resolving to work on the leak today. I was horrified when I woke up this morning and the water was below the returns! It seems to still be dropping, as well. I haven't had any luck getting a pool company to come out, so I'm hoping someone at TFP can help. My questions:

1) Can I stop all the water from leaking out? What do I do? The pump is off, and the water is below the returns. Would turning off the valves on the pump make any difference?

2) Any ideas as to the location of the leak (other than the sand filter dome)?

Help ....

As rmasonjr was stating at this point the areas where the water could be leaking from inside the pool are limited. The most likely one is the light niche, if you do have a light and get it off you can dry to put some food color in and see if it flows out. The other possible areas are the main drain at the bottom of the pool or a crack or hole in the pool shell itself.

One more question, can you confirm that your pool equipment does not sit lower than the pool/water level?

Sadly, no, I don't have a pool light. Yes, the pool equipment is higher than the pool/water level. The leaking seems to have slowed somewhat, but the water is now lower than the returns by about an inch. I fear that there might be a hole in the liner, because although we do need a new liner, we weren't prepared to spend that much money this spring. But perhaps the liner could actually be patched? The leaking main drain -- there are two of them -- sounds like it would also be a costly repair?

I have patched vinyl liners underwater before. Its a pain, but depending on the size, might get you through the season.
A main drain leak, however, is a bit more involved. It requires clear water and using a syringe with food coloring and watching carefully where it goes. I had to use weights to hold me down. Wasn't fun at all. Luckily, no main drain leak.

Is there a way to tell whether it's a main drain leak or the vinyl liner?

I closed the valves to the pump/filter, and it is still leaking. However, the leak is much slower. Not sure whether that indicates a plumbing leak or not.

Right now, the water is about 3 inches deep in the shallow end. I can't see any visible tears in the liner, but the deep end has a pile of leaves around one of the drains. My fear in moving the leaves is that I will damage the liner further (I'm currently blaming myself for tearing the liner when I was sweeping the pool right after opening).

Also, when you say that a patch "might last through the season," does that mean we will definitely have to buy a new liner next season?

Is there a way to tell whether it's a main drain leak or the vinyl liner?

I closed the valves to the pump/filter, and it is still leaking. However, the leak is much slower. Not sure whether that indicates a plumbing leak or not.

Right now, the water is about 3 inches deep in the shallow end. I can't see any visible tears in the liner, but the deep end has a pile of leaves around one of the drains. My fear in moving the leaves is that I will damage the liner further (I'm currently blaming myself for tearing the liner when I was sweeping the pool right after opening).

Also, when you say that a patch "might last through the season," does that mean we will definitely have to buy a new liner next season?

To find a leak, you're going to have to do some reconnaissance work :)
I used a syringe with red food coloring and went down and slowly squirted it around the drain (with pump off). No leaks that I found.
I then just swam around the bottom of my pool using both hands to 'feel' for holes.
My leak was about 1/2 way up in a corner and was the size of a quarter.
An underwater patch kit got me through that season until I could purchase another liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.