Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Yard Theater

1. Back To Top    #1

Back Yard Theater

Well the 1st night of back yard movies turned out to be a big hit. I just got everything in from Amazon this weekend and it was supposed to be a trial run, but my daughter got excited and invited the whole neighborhood. Talk bout pressure. Luckily I got everything set up and working. Everyone had a blast. The kids watched "Sing" then after me and the wife watched "SW: The Force Awakens". Good times
    19,xxx gal gunite pool ,Fafco Solar, Pentair; Intelliflo VS Pump, EasyTouch Control System, Clean & Clear Plus Filter,ScreenLogic2, IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator, 3 IntelliBrite 5g LED lights and 1 Color Cascade LED Light Bubbler. 3 deck jets and 1 sheer decent waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Back Yard Theater

We need an equipment list and a pic or two! No teaser threads allowed!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Trying to post pics with no luck
    19,xxx gal gunite pool ,Fafco Solar, Pentair; Intelliflo VS Pump, EasyTouch Control System, Clean & Clear Plus Filter,ScreenLogic2, IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator, 3 IntelliBrite 5g LED lights and 1 Color Cascade LED Light Bubbler. 3 deck jets and 1 sheer decent waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

Now that is a sweet setup
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Picture perfect~!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I still need to get it all dialed in. For those that are curious I'm rocking a Optima HD27 project onto a Camp Chef OS-144 screen.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh my gosh!! I need this! Beautiful pool.

So, with the projector, how far can it be from screen? I'm trying to figure out where I'd put it where it would not get splashed by water from the pool? Never mind, I just googled and discovered 'throw ratio'
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

9. Back To Top    #9

Great -- now we need this too!! I love it!!!!
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

10. Back To Top    #10

How much time does it take to assemble the screen?I currently have a large blow up one and it is a little fussy with wind and has a big footprint at the base and takes a lot of room up.
    Opinion of frame/bowing? thanks
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Can I come over for football season?
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sham View Post
    Oh my gosh!! I need this! Beautiful pool.

So, with the projector, how far can it be from screen? I'm trying to figure out where I'd put it where it would not get splashed by water from the pool? Never mind, I just googled and discovered 'throw ratio'
    Actually use projector central. Search what model u want and it will tell you min to max screen size also if u don't want to do the math with throw ratios.

13. Back To Top    #13

This is definitely something I'll be doing. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice grassy area inside our fence but we can set up chairs.

I'm finishing our basement and putting a projector down there. The projector I'm looking at is around $3k so I'm not sure I want to take that outside though. I may have to buy a 2nd one for outdoor use.

We rented one previously and watched a playoff hockey game on huge wall in our garage. Had the whole neighborhood over and it was great! Only cost $40 to rent for a whole week from Rent-a-Center.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

14. Back To Top    #14

has anyone had experience with some kind of projector setup in which the projector can come out of the ground rather than either (a) being permanently setup or (b) having to be torn up/down - outside of end of year closing stuff ?

...and no, not talking about blow up ones either

- - - Updated - - -

also, i dont want to hijack this thread, but i also didnt want to duplicate it in my own thread

Projectors are great for nighttime, but worthless for daytime.

Has anyone looked into recently utilizing a larg normal LCD tv (disposable prices at this point) and one of those protective enclosures?

the enclosures are still expensive, but i am wondering if that is still the best solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
    This is definitely something I'll be doing. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice grassy area inside our fence but we can set up chairs.

I'm finishing our basement and putting a projector down there. The projector I'm looking at is around $3k so I'm not sure I want to take that outside though. I may have to buy a 2nd one for outdoor use.

We rented one previously and watched a playoff hockey game on huge wall in our garage. Had the whole neighborhood over and it was great! Only cost $40 to rent for a whole week from Rent-a-Center.

fyi, spending $3k for a projector is overkill imo. I think you can get a good 1080p w/ lens shift for under 1k. if you want to spend money for 4k even though there is limited material, you could probably get a good one for $1500-$2200 at most. Not sure there even are $3k models?
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: (2018) Raypak 406A 400k BTU
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by rajung View Post
    How much time does it take to assemble the screen?I currently have a large blow up one and it is a little fussy with wind and has a big footprint at the base and takes a lot of room up.
    Opinion of frame/bowing? thanks
    It was my 1st time and took about 15 Min. Really straight forward and simple. Next time it will take bout 10 min.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman 21 View Post
    It was my 1st time and took about 15 Min. Really straight forward and simple. Next time it will take bout 10 min.
    Thanks,looks to be a nice screen,5 years ago when I did this I was going to go the PVC/conduit route and purchase a screen but with time looks like some co. got the idea to market.Plus no additional power cords to run for fan motors.
    We are still in the 50's so no rush for me.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ionizer View Post
    has anyone had experience with some kind of projector setup in which the projector can come out of the ground rather than either (a) being permanently setup or (b) having to be torn up/down - outside of end of year closing stuff ?

...and no, not talking about blow up ones either

- - - Updated - - -

also, i dont want to hijack this thread, but i also didnt want to duplicate it in my own thread

Projectors are great for nighttime, but worthless for daytime.

Has anyone looked into recently utilizing a larg normal LCD tv (disposable prices at this point) and one of those protective enclosures?

the enclosures are still expensive, but i am wondering if that is still the best solution.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi, spending $3k for a projector is overkill imo. I think you can get a good 1080p w/ lens shift for under 1k. if you want to spend money for 4k even though there is limited material, you could probably get a good one for $1500-$2200 at most. Not sure there even are $3k models?

the only true 4k projectors out right now are from sony. the line starts at 8 grnd and goes up to 60 grand. 2-3 models. there are other companies like barco which have true 4k chip solutions but again 40 grand plus. oh ya jvc has a 35 grand unit. again none of these would ever be used outdoors.

besides the sony all other 4k projectors are e-shift/ pixel remap setups which are 1080 chips. there are some awesome units out there though.

for outdoor 4k lens shift units aren't even needed. you will be sitting fr away and won't get any the benefit so pretty much grab a couple hundred dollar wonder and call it a day and you will have what you need for outdoor use.

jim
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    the only true 4k projectors out right now are from sony. the line starts at 8 grnd and goes up to 60 grand. 2-3 models. there are other companies like barco which have true 4k chip solutions but again 40 grand plus. oh ya jvc has a 35 grand unit. again none of these would ever be used outdoors.

besides the sony all other 4k projectors are e-shift/ pixel remap setups which are 1080 chips. there are some awesome units out there though.

for outdoor 4k lens shift units aren't even needed. you will be sitting fr away and won't get any the benefit so pretty much grab a couple hundred dollar wonder and call it a day and you will have what you need for outdoor use.

jim

Yup, what he said

19. Back To Top    #19

That projector looks really close to the pool's edge - has it gone for a swim yet? How far are you throwing it across the pool? I think that is probably the best set up unless you can find something that does rear projection. I'd have to throw mine 20-30' I think.
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Esloser View Post
    That projector looks really close to the pool's edge - has it gone for a swim yet? How far are you throwing it across the pool? I think that is probably the best set up unless you can find something that does rear projection. I'd have to throw mine 20-30' I think.

It is right at the edge and very nerve racking with the little ones around. I think I was at 20 something ft. Its going back and I got a short throw rear projector on the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast