Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    353

    Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    I have a couple scupper bowls similar to the attached photo. These will have a 1" PVC pipe coming up from the bottom. I realize you don't want to have a 1" pipe sticking straight through the bowl to fill or you'll likely end up with a fountain. Should this terminate with a 90degree elbow, a tee, etc?

    IMG_0288.JPG


    Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,986

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Just cut the pipe flush with the bottom of the bowl. As long as you can control the flow rate with a valve there should not be a problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    8,577

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    You can also add decorative river rock in the bowl if you want to hide the pipe. Black river rock would look nice.

    Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    115

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Foosman,

    I have two scupper bowls planned for my pool. Each one will have a lighted bubbler it. If I did not have the lighted bubbler, I would consider one of these flush return eye balls.



    http://www.poolfittings.com/flush-mount-return-fittings

    You could leave the eye ball out if you just want free flow, or make it a bubbler if you have a big enough bowl. I think they cost $8 each. I plan to put some hydraulic cement with a grout layer and pebbles to fill up to my bubbler nozzles.

    Incidentally, where are you getting your bowls from? I have been tempted to cast my own bowls because shipping is ridiculous and I want big bowls.

    You definitely need a trim valve per scupper.




  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    353

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramdough View Post
    Foosman,

    I have two scupper bowls planned for my pool. Each one will have a lighted bubbler it. If I did not have the lighted bubbler, I would consider one of these flush return eye balls.



    http://www.poolfittings.com/flush-mount-return-fittings

    You could leave the eye ball out if you just want free flow, or make it a bubbler if you have a big enough bowl. I think they cost $8 each. I plan to put some hydraulic cement with a grout layer and pebbles to fill up to my bubbler nozzles.

    Incidentally, where are you getting your bowls from? I have been tempted to cast my own bowls because shipping is ridiculous and I want big bowls.

    You definitely need a trim valve per scupper.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, shipping was more than the bowls. I had then shipped from Phoenix Precast Products, Inc. A pair of 27" bowls cost $218, crate and shipping $314. I'll ask the boss if she wants bubblers or free flow. I was thinking of sealing the pipe to bowl opening with A+B epoxy. I like the idea of river rocks if we do a free flow, but will need something besides a 1" pipe opening to keep the rocks out.


    Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    115

    Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Foosman View Post
    Yeah, shipping was more than the bowls. I had then shipped from Phoenix Precast Products, Inc. A pair of 27" bowls cost $218, crate and shipping $314. I'll ask the boss if she wants bubblers or free flow. I was thinking of sealing the pipe to bowl opening with A+B epoxy. I like the idea of river rocks if we do a free flow, but will need something besides a 1" pipe opening to keep the rocks out.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you install the eye ball socket, you could show the boss both options and then change it later if you change your mind.



  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    481

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    They used a 180 degree connection on mine so the opening to the pipe points down towards the bottom of the pot. Works like a champ.

    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Maytronics Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    353

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    They used a 180 degree connection on mine so the opening to the pipe points down towards the bottom of the pot. Works like a champ.

    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Thanks!
    Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    560

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    You don't need anything fancy. Cut the pipe flush with the bowl bottom. Cut the end off a CMU block leaving one inch legs. Set the cut-off legs down to divert the flow and pile your rip rap on top to hide the CMU. if you have a VSP turn the water feature on AFTER it cycles down out of its prime speed or it will overflow your pot. Works like a charm . . .
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    115

    Re: Concrete scupper wok bowl-how to terminate pipe within bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    You don't need anything fancy. Cut the pipe flush with the bowl bottom. Cut the end off a CMU block leaving one inch legs. Set the cut-off legs down to divert the flow and pile your rip rap on top to hide the CMU. if you have a VSP turn the water feature on AFTER it cycles down out of its prime speed or it will overflow your pot. Works like a charm . . .
    I think that if you did not want the bubbler, this would look really nice. Maybe use some black river rock to make it pop.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •