Started Baquacil Conversion

Progress is good. :goodjob: I think you understand the concept quite well, and you have the conversion page to refer to each day. Do the best you can as noted above. Consistency = efficiency. Just follow each step and don't skip anything on that conversion page. We'll be watching if you have any updates/questions. Good luck!

Just note that you will lose a lot of FC everyday to the sun. In a chlorine pool with no cyanuric acid (CYA) stabilizer, the half-life of chlorine is about 35mins. So, when you think you're ready to call it Baqua-goop Free and move on to the next phase, dose the water to 15ppm FC after the sun goes down and then re-measure it in the morning before the sun comes up. If you've lost less than 1ppm overnight, then you get to call it Baqua-Free and continue the process of changing out the sand and finishing up the conversion.

Nothing comes to mind other than what is listed as follows is Step 4:
Test your water frequently and add the appropriate amount of bleach to get back up to 15ppm. Do this as often as possible, as often as every hour if you can, but at least once a day. Make sure you test and add bleach before bed, and test again in the morning before the sun hits your pool. Initially, the FC will be used up very quickly. The more often you can test and boost your FC to 15, the faster the conversion will go. Toward the middle of the conversion, it is more prudent to test and add your bleach in the evening, or at other times when the sunlight is not directly shining on your water.

Anything in those notes that maybe have been hard to do consistently? I suppose there's a fair amount of goo remaining in the filter. Are you still seeing goo during backwash?

I suspect that's part of the issue. Frustrating I'm sure that you can't be there to bump it up during the day, but that's probably what's taking a little more time. Perhaps this weekend if you're off that will allow you more time maintain the FC at 15 to get over the "hump" and break through the OCLT barrier.

How often are you brushing the pool? This needs to be done frequently paying special attention to the areas around the skimmer, ladders, returns, lights, and so forth. BaquaGoo is still hiding somewhere if you're losing 5ppm overnight. Keep at it!

I'm brushing daily. The steps are out of the pool.

I lost 7ppm last night on the OCLT. this after putting in 18 gallons of bleach yesterday.

I'm starting to think I've made a mistake by switching. I'm putting in two gallons of chlorine an hour just for it to be 'eaten' by the sun.

f3b79b8cc1195a6f95f76609a342e79b.jpg

a1618732fb60c8862d8620abba4605f1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Additionally, what is your CC level?

If you were to attempt to maintain a chlorine pool with no CYA (as you are now) you are correct, a Baqua pool would be just as much work. I promise you though, once you add CYA your FC drop will be dramatically lower. Depending on your OCLT results and CC level it maybe worth your time/pocket book to only dose after sun down.

I think you're dang close to finishing. If you're worried about the pocketbook and have some time before swimming maybe just dose after the sun sets. My gut says it won't add much time to your conversion.

Take apart you filter and deep clean the sand. I know you're going to be throwing out that sand anyway but I bet it's loaded with organics and that is where the bulk of your FC loss is. One way to possibly test it would be to do the OCLT WITHOUT THE PUMP RUNNING. That way the FC in the pool is not being continuously run through a dirty filter sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the filter doesn't appear to be the culprit. I checked it at 5am and had a 5ppm loss overnight with 1 CC.

I dosed it back up and turned the filter back on. Supposed to have some cloudy days the next few days. Hopefully that will help with FC loss while I'm at work.

Well the filter doesn't appear to be the culprit. I checked it at 5am and had a 5ppm loss overnight with 1 CC.

I dosed it back up and turned the filter back on. Supposed to have some cloudy days the next few days. Hopefully that will help with FC loss while I'm at work.

Bummer. Well, it was worth a try.

You don't have any pool details listed in your signature (that would greatly help us help you!). I'm wondering, can you cover your pool? Covering the pool during the day will help to eliminate the sun or reduce it's influence. Even clear or blue bubble cover would work fine to help reduce UV exposure.

I see in another conversion thread about the use of CDX. I used CDX also. What is different about the conversion process?

I have beautiful clear water but I am still losing 5ppm overnight. And with full sun during the day I need nearly 3 gallons of 10% per hour to keep the pool dosed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.