Options for fixing/refinishing my built-in pool "rock slide" (PICS)

jtb33

Jul 3, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As it's getting close to opening the pool here in AZ, our slide needs some attention. I have tried to find some resources in the past to re-do the coating, but they all seem to fizzle out; no follow-ups, no call-backs, etc.

So here I am again with swimming season upon me and have an unusable slide. So at this point, I may attempt to tackle it myself, even. I am looking for ideas and options. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use it this swim season, so a "quick fix" is one idea, even if it won't last. I just want the kids to be able to use it.

Long term, I know I need to sand it all down to the concrete, then fix any cracks in it and then use something like Olympic's Zeron coating that's UV resistant. Unfortunately, that only seems to come in blue and white colors - not something that would look good with this rock feature.

So, two questions:

1 - What should I do longer-term to fix the slide and keep it looking good for years?

2 - What can I do (if anything) as a quick-fix to make it usable with minimum effort this swim season?

Concrete slides are pretty notorious for needing almost constant attention. Most use epoxy sealers to get the smooth surface but epoxy isn't UV stable and will need to be redone every couple years.

I don't ever seal concrete because I think it creates more problems than it solves. For concrete slides I like to polish them and then use a high quality paint like Modern Masters or better yet, coat the slide in AquaBright.

Here is a good example of the before and after:

IMG_20161220_105958.jpg

No matter what you're going to need to get down to bare concrete anyway.

AquaBright is something only a certified installer can purchase and install. It probably won't be inexpensive either but it will probably last the longest.

No matter what you're going to need to get down to bare concrete anyway.

AquaBright is something only a certified installer can purchase and install. It probably won't be inexpensive either but it will probably last the longest.

That's part of the problem. Every resource (company, person, etc) that I have called that is purported to do things like pool slide refinishing, has not returned my calls, or flaked out. One guy finally asked for pictures and after sending them, I had to get in touch with him 4 times before he actually looked at them and gave me a quote, which I could tell was purposefully ridiculous ($8K) as he probably felt somewhat obligated to humor me since he was a "referral" from a builder, but didn't seem to want to do it.

So that's why I'm down to trying to do this myself - can't get anyone to give me a quote that's real or return my calls. I just want a usable slide. :(

What about putting tile on the side? While probably more expensive, how does it hold up over time in AZ?

DSC_1066.jpg

omg....tile slide? how? and such small tiles? so many to deal with having rough surfaces like swimpants that might have metal loops grinding over them at fast speed?

i cant imagine the nightmare that would be!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, plenty of tiled slides out there. But, as mentioned it needs to be done by a true tile artisan. I agree, it looks sort of reptilian. I'd be inclined to spray it with a nice coat of Aquabright.

Re: Options for fixing/refinishing my built-in pool "rock slide" (PICS)

This may not be the best option for you, but I was in the same boat after 2 seasons. The epoxy our builder used needs to be redone probably yearly. After alot of research and trying something else- which was just an expensive mistake- we went back to what our builder put on it originally. We sanded some but not thru the color coat on the concrete. When we put this Armorseal HS 1000 on it, the color and slickness came back. Its not that expensive, was easy to do. 3 coats and 3 days later, we were sliding again. We want to do a few more coats by May to get a good base and just add a coat or 2 next spring. Its a 2 part epoxy- a gallon each and I still have at least 3/4 left..you do thin coats and just keep layering it on. Good luck with yours!
Before & after:
4f05d484b80f0b74ab28422420b57383.jpg

Re: Options for fixing/refinishing my built-in pool "rock slide" (PICS)

This may not be the best option for you, but I was in the same boat after 2 seasons. The epoxy our builder used needs to be redone probably yearly. After alot of research and trying something else- which was just an expensive mistake- we went back to what our builder put on it originally. We sanded some but not thru the color coat on the concrete. When we put this Armorseal HS 1000 on it, the color and slickness came back. Its not that expensive, was easy to do. 3 coats and 3 days later, we were sliding again. We want to do a few more coats by May to get a good base and just add a coat or 2 next spring. Its a 2 part epoxy- a gallon each and I still have at least 3/4 left..you do thin coats and just keep layering it on. Good luck with yours!
Before & after:
4f05d484b80f0b74ab28422420b57383.jpg
Can you please tell me step by step what you had to do to make your slide look great ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.