One Year Old SWG Reports Low On Salt

Tried the "re-boot" suggested by Bondgarjm...no luck. My process was that I disconnected the round connectore coming out of the power box for a few minutes. Restarted and got same RED LOW SALT indication.

Decided to clean the unit with 5:1 water:acid...It looked pretty clean...i was right, no bubbles at all. Nothing. No joy.

Hooked SWG back up, ran it with same LOW SALT indication.

Since my last reading for Salt was recently 3240, I added 40 pounds of salt to get me up to approx. 3400. I hear it only measures salt 2x per day, so I'll run it over night and check it out in the AM. I have one more bag available to get it to 3600.

Failing all else tomorrow, JamesW is right: bad temp sensor.

My pool guy hasn't shown up...so I took matters in to my own hands...went to Pentair Pool 1-800 number and spoke to their Support folks (Joey and Lynn). They were very helpful. I would have to say I'd be inclined to buy Pentair parts and equipment again just as a matter of the great support I received. They agree it's the temp/salt sensor that is bad and are sending a part for free (no shipping or cost). I'll install it when it gets here and will report back. Can't wait to get my SWG working again.

Well, I thought I should report on the "final solution" here. Turns out the new salt water sensor didn't fix it. It was very easy to install, like a spark plug and crimping of 4 wires. But nothing changed. Low Salt Indicator. No Chlorine Produced. Gladf I got it free on warranty, as they are about 50 bucks on Amazon.

So, I reported back still no joy....and am happy to report they were totally OK with sending me a brand new IC-40 unit. It took less than 5 minutes to replace and install the new one (as all the plumbing / unions, etc...was identical) . All is good. Happy to have my "free' Chlorine back. It is working perfectly now.

Thanks for reporting back. So the cell was officially bad then; you did exactly what any Pentair repair tech would do - replace the temp sensor and see if the cell works. If not, replace the cell.

Good to know Pentair made you whole.

I wanted to report that after all of this....it was indeed the IC-40's "internal" salt sensor that was bad....could not be replaced. Working with Pentair (excellent service and support) they sent me a replacement flow/salt sensor...nothing more than installing a spark plug (with teflon tape) and simple crimp of 4 wires. Easy. Making sure the AC power was off of course. But alas....this did not fix the problem, it was still reporting "LOW SALT"....so I Pentair under warranty sent a brand new SWG. Whooo Hooo....It was very easy to install the identical replacement...powered it on and in no time I am back up and running at 7 ppm. (although you may want to see my "Cloudy water SWG thread).

Thanks for everyone's support during this most difficult problem and solution.

QED.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.