Owner/Builder - Lets get started (Las Vegas)

Mar 30, 2017
North Las Vegas, NV
TFP,

Just moved into my new home less than 90 days ago. I can't take the dirt backyard (42' x 80') any longer. I've meet with 5 different Pool Builders in Las Vegas...not seeing the value for my dollar. I was told for a "basic" pool/spa expect to spend $40-50k. I'm in North Las Vegas (Eldorado/Aliante to be exact) which apparently has bad soil (or so I have been told)..whatever that means. After reading through tons of posts, I believe my husband and I can do this ourselves...I think :confused:. Reading Owner / Builder Build - Las Vegas..Pics and Prices Inside!! and Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) )) threads gave me the push I needed to just do it!!!

Step one....Get the plans.

Stay tuned.

Hi and welcome! There are quite a few that have done what you are thinking of doing in your area.

Have you contacted Will? He has quite a bit of info he would not mind sharing. I will give him a shout of out for you to make sure he sees this thread.

WILL!! Come on over!!!! There that should do it!!! LOL :super:

Your next step is to take and share some pics of where the pool is going to go!

Kim:kim:

I just sent you a pm with my email and phone number! Contact me anytime. You can definitely do it yourself for AOLT cheaper!!! Just to give you an idea, the cheapest I had from a PB was low 60's with basic equipment and concrete and now I have a larger pool, bigger spa, top of the line equipment and automation( thanks TFP) ,travertine, and a few extras and I'm in the low 40's. I have had so many people help and answer questions and now I'm just trying to do the same so don't wait just let us know what you need. IMAZ is also a very valuable resource as well as others here in the Vegas area. Matter fact I talk to him more than my wife talks to her best friend hahaha
And yes Kim I saw the Superman signal and I came right away [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need any help or advice feel free to ask. If you would like you can send me a PM with your contact info.

I just sent you a pm with my email and phone number! Contact me anytime. You can definitely do it yourself for AOLT cheaper!!! Just to give you an idea, the cheapest I had from a PB was low 60's with basic equipment and concrete and now I have a larger pool, bigger spa, top of the line equipment and automation( thanks TFP) ,travertine, and a few extras and I'm in the low 40's. I have had so many people help and answer questions and now I'm just trying to do the same so don't wait just let us know what you need. IMAZ is also a very valuable resource as well as others here in the Vegas area. Matter fact I talk to him more than my wife talks to her best friend hahaha
And yes Kim I saw the Superman signal and I came right away [emoji41]

You are SO set! These two are awesome! THANKS GUYS!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

I'm in the process right now in Aliante, but I'm using a PB. I'm not brave enough to be an O/B. :)

I can chime in on the "bad soil" issue. CNLV requires more inspections than the other jurisdictions (Clark County, CLV, etc.), and one of those is a soils inspection (I think the other jurisdictions do this via computer). An inspector comes out and does a visual test to see if the soil needs to be further evaluated, apparently based on layers of soil, "stickiness", etc. If so, they need to come back, take samples, and prepare a report. This would add money and time to the project, and usually results in the need to use a higher Number rebar, thicker concrete for the deck, or different expansion joint lengths, etc.

Side Notes: We had to tear out our existing concrete patio because the moisture/salt in the soil came up overtime and eroded the sides away, so they're using a "vapor barrier" (plastic sheeting) underneath our new pour to hopefully stop that in the future. We were lucky enough not to need the extra soils inspection because our soil passed the visual, but I was anxious on inspection day! I was told it would result in a 3 week delay on the entire project - yuck!

We were also extra lucky not to have hit any caliche during the dig (6 feet at the deepest). Every yard is different of course, but anecdotal evidence from the contractors indicates that the most likely areas to hit it are in Summerlin and towards Mountain's Edge.

Twin is absolutely correct, if you fall in the "soil test zone" not only does it delay your project but it will set you back $650 . When you go to pull your permit they will look at your zoning and let you know if you fall in the zone ( luckily I did not) . Also she is right about caliche , you shouldn't see much in your area.
Twin I'm also following your build and would love to hear any updates [emoji3] fell free to post away on your thread. Vegas has a lot going on lol.
Side note- 3 different PB have told me that OB is now the biggest pool builder in Vegas

I'm not sure about North Las Vegas, but for me I just opted to go worst case scenario with engineering. Resulted in more steel and probably increased steel price by a few hundred dollars. However, by doing this I was able to avoid the soils report and delay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did O/B (see my build in my signature) and have helped quite a few people on here with theirs, feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I'm pretty close to you too, over by the Clark County gun range. That smoker still standing after today's winds?

I did O/B (see my build in my signature) and have helped quite a few people on here with theirs, feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I'm pretty close to you too, over by the Clark County gun range. That smoker still standing after today's winds?

Thanks! Oddly it is :) I'm pretty surprised myself. [emoji23] Now the dog house and kids ride-ons on the other hand...[emoji946][emoji100]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.