Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Black Plague

1. Back To Top    #1

The Black Plague

I'm new to the forum and a relatively new pool owner. We bought our house in early 2015 with a pool/swamp containing several dead chipmunks and a bull frog bigger then my head. The plaster was flaking off in some areas and hadn't been kept up in about 1.5 to 2 years. We had it chipped out and replastered and replaced all of the floor returns/drains as the PVC was dry and crunchy. After several months of running a 3 hp non programable fixed speed pump, we replaced it with the intelliflo vs (huge energy savings).

As new pool owners, we asked the pool replaster guy how to take care of the pool. He pretty much said to drop a chlorine tablet in each skimmer and replace once it was just about dissolved, buy a test kit and go from there. The chlorine level was always a bit low on tests, but it always looked great, last summer we noticed a few black spots on the bottom and apparently they multiplied over the winter.

I've done some reading here and it looks like the best course of action might be the SLAM method with lots of scrubbing with a stainless brush during the process.

Here are the pool test readings as of this afternoon:

FC 0 (was 4 the night before)
    ph 7.2 (added 1 gallon muriatic last night)
    TA 40 (added 24 lbs baking soda today)
    CH 300 (added 7 lbs calcium chloride today)
    CYA 40

My test kit is a Taylor I believe, blue plastic box and I've been using Clorox brand Chlorine tablets which I believe have Trichlor.

2 Questions:
    -People say to stock up on bleach before a SLAM, does that mean 20 gallons, 50 or more?
    -I have a gas pressure washer, could I use this to remove the black spots while the pool is still full?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave
    CITY: High Point, NC POOL: 22x40, approx. 35000 ga, Inground, Plaster (replastered mid 2015), Pentair Intelliflo VS 3 HP Pump, Large Triton Sand Filter, 2 Wall Skimmers, 2 Wall Jets, 1 Floor Drain, 9 Floor Returns, Guessing 1968 Original Build.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Black Plague

Hiya Superdave.... I need to know which test kit that Taylor box is? It sort of is important to know for your FC.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

What are you targeting for your TA? Seems too high. Pool School - Recommended Levels

No, blasting the algae won't help, it will reattach and grow again, it needs to be killed. More about black algae here, Pool School - Black Algae
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

What are you targeting for your TA? Seems too high. Pool School - Recommended Levels

No, blasting the algae won't help, it will reattach and grow again, it needs to be killed. More about black algae here, Pool School - Black Algae
    Just to clarify, the pressure washer might replace the brushing but you still need to slam to kill the algae.
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

It's actually a Leslie's Pool Supply knock off. It's a DPD test kit, I believe the cal measurement only goes to 10.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Taylor Technologies 81329 Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit <--- is it this one?

or one of these:
    Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

Taylor Technologies K-2005-C Service Complete DPD Test Kit

Taylor Technologies 18571 DPD Basic Test Kit

Unless it is the top one, please consider ordering a standalone FAS-DPD test kit like this one for $30
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

Some pool stores sell the components of that kit, but often ends up being more expensive and not as fresh. One way or another, the "FAS-DPD" is what we're looking for, not just "DPD"

"drop a chlorine tablet in each skimmer" don't do that anymore, leave what's in there in there, but don't add for now please, they raise CYA too, see pool school

maybe 8-14 gallons depending on how much of an inconvenience it would be to go back to store....definitely don't buy more than 20 for now, try to store in shade
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100