LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am about to install a Stenner pump for chlorine, and am looking for timer options that I can control remotely -- I generally bring a water sample in to the house at night and test it. I'd like to pull up an app and adjust the chlorine delivery for the next day without having to go back out to the pool. I also want to control a number of other outdoor and indoor lights with a Z-wave or similar mesh network.

However, the main issue is that I believe most of the Z-wave switches rely on at least the hub, if not the cloud server, for all switching events. If a switch is on, and the hub goes down for whatever reason (accidentally unplugged, for example), the switch will stay on past the intended time. This isn't the end of the world for a light, but obviously is a problem if a Stenner pump continues to push chlorine for hours, especially if the pump goes off.

I have a WiOn 50052 WiFi switch that I'm testing, which does appear to be a self-contained timer -- I experimented by unplugging the WiFi router, and the switch's status showed the connection failure but turned off correctly at the programmed time. I'd assume the other WiOn devices like the 50049 outdoor outlet work the same way. However, WiOn has some limitations as a broader home automation solution; it's just not as scalable or flexible as a hub-based system.

Has anyone found a Z-wave switch/hub combo that has similar protections, where the hub basically tells the device "tentatively turn on at time X, and turn off at time Y" and then overrides as necessary? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask if anyone has dealt with this. Otherwise, I think I'll just use WiOn for the Stenner pump and Z-wave for everything else.

BTW, I'm interested in the Z-Wave logic to get feedback from pool and/or spa temperature and tell a pool heater to turn off or on. In other words, how to incorporated the signal from a thermistor into the Z-Wave controller? It would seem that here too you would want a fall back if the Z-Wave controller was out for whatever reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.