Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any robots better than others for leafy environments?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any robots better than others for leafy environments?

Thinking about going robotic, any recommendations for a pool that sits under an oak tree, other than kill the oak tree (it has crossed my mind). I am looking for something that has a good capacity for leaves. Thanks.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Any robots better than others for leafy environments?

From what I know, the robots with the biggest baskets for debris are the Doheny's Discover Powered by Dolphin and it's twins the Dolphin Triton (and Triton Plus) and Dolphin S200 (and S300 & S300i). See this thread for links...Post 267. https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...=1#post1190121

Don't cut down that tree, they might send you down the street to the pokey.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was looking at the Nautilus by Dolphin, wonder if that is comparable.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by censored View Post
    I was looking at the Nautilus by Dolphin, wonder if that is comparable.
    The Nautilus uses cartridges, which have lower capacity than the top-load baskets. The basket also has a larger single opening at the bottom as opposed to 2 narrower openings for the cartridge models.

Basket:

http://www.zavattishop.it/WebRoot/ce...-dettaglio.JPG

Cartridge:

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2...00.200.jpg?c=2
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I would recommend going robotic, but none of them are going to have the capacity needed for oak leaves in the Fall Season. I have an oak too, and when the leaves fall in Oct/Nov, there is nothing other than a big net that will clean them out.

All other times of the year though, a robot will be fine with oaks in your yard.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, get a good leaf rake for the big leaf days and a robot for the rest. We have lots of trees, there are pics of my robot full of leaves in my pool thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Impressive pics DV, love the whole setup.

8. Back To Top    #8

My smartpool cleaner gets the big leaves in my pool very well. Huge bag is a plus too
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

We bought a Dolphin s300i last year. It was pricy but it has made life much easier. Our pool has one oak tree over it and others nearby. The large intake area of the s300i helps a ton. As long as you don't wait too long in between runs, it gets pretty much everything; even large leaves. If there is an accumulation of a bunch of stuff at the bottom in one spot it will not pick it up.
    I do not have anything to compare it to, but we love our lil robot. The s200, s300, and s300i all I believe have the same intake and body. The differences are mainly in functions/features (i.e. cleaning cycles and smartphone compatibility).
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    300 lb Sand filter
    Pentair Superflo Pump Variable Speed Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

They will handle a good number of leaves depending on the size. We have a lot of Live Oak in Texas and those are small. Mine are quite large leaves by mid summer, but if there aren't too many my Robot will handle a surprising number with the right screens running.

Overall though, Robots are just superior to all other types on cleaners no question. The good ones are simply amazing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Censored, I have a huge maple overhead and a forest of nearby oak leaves
    I have the older Dolphin M4 with the cartridges and it does gobble up a surprising amount...when this one wears out, I'd likely move to basket type.

But what I wanted to share that really helps in leaf management is a contraption you fit to a return jet called Pool Skim...it gets a LOT of leaves before they even sink: Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Then again, in the 3rd week of Oct., NOTHING stops this from happening: lol. Which is in part why I got a dome this year for winter use...(this year the dome will be going up well before my typical oct 23rd "drop day")

image.jpg
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay, I will never complain about my leaf problem again. You, Ma'am, are the winner!
    20x40 in ground rectangle with small sun deck and spa with spill over. Pentair pump, Intellichlor IC40 (no longer working so have changed to chlorine)