Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert Pristine Blue to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Hi . We bought an above ground pool in May of last year . My wife was sold by the shister pool place that Pristine Blue was like the second coming of Christ. Told us it's easier and cheaper to maintain its clearer and safer fir our kids and grandkids to swim in . Well it was very clear after I finally got the chemicals balanced but it never totally seemed clean. Then we started having to buy every chemical they sold when we tested it every week . This was off that was off it was getting ridiculous. Now I'm reading that it's not that safe. Some countries have banned it I read . So we are wanting to switch over to chlorine. The pool had been shut off last October and was totally leaf infested and green. I've been putting bleach in and clarifier to and got out a lot of leaves but it's still cloudy . I ordered a new paper filter as the crappy one that come with it just blows all the green gross water back into my pool with out filtering it. What should I do next. The ph alk and all else check out ok on the stores test . What's my next move ??

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Convert Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Welcome You need to read Pool School (button above). You also need to find out what is going on with your water and the best way to do that is get a test kit Pool School - Test Kits Compared. As you have found out already, the pool store may not be the best place to go. Once you have read, gotten your test results and found out the problem, then you can solve the issue. You are at the right place now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP,

The best way is to take over your own testing and treatment. Once you get a good handle on the basics it really is very easy, and there is no mystery to it as thousands here can attest. Start with the ABCs in Pool School while you are waiting on a good kit, and ask any questions you need to in the forum. Many, many people will be here waiting to help, because they were once where you are, and they love showing others how easy and nice it can be.

Tell us more about the pool, and please put those basics in your sig line. Size, filtration, etc so we can help you quicker, and better. Fish out all the muck you possibly can unless you plan on a drain, clean, and refill. Let us know how we can help, and enjoy the forum.

You can also click my sig line for some links you'll need.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

You will find success here and be ready for the swim season!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you fir the greeting ! Yes I ordered the Taylor test kit and have flocked the pool for 3 days . Now I'm slowly very slowly cleaning up the huge clouds of greeen on the bottom . Still digging out leaves now that I can actually see them lol . But yes the pool store wants me to come back and plunk down another 35 bucks for flocck and algae killer . Once I get the results I'll hit you guys up again with results . Thanks!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much. Yes my pool is an AG pool at 30 ft round 5 ft deep and around 17500 gallons . It has a Sherlok 120 sq ft paper filter that I just changed the filter on cause the original one ( it's only 11 months old) died completely on me . It's been Pristine Blue from the get go cause we got suckered into doing it before we had all the info on it. The pool place is still telling me it's a big mistake switching to chlorine ! I still have a bunch of debris on the bottom I'm desperately working to get out. It's coming but slowly. What can I do to expedite this process. ??

7. Back To Top    #7

Two pieces of advice for you -

1. Stop going to the pool store; they are there only to sell you stuff.

2. Stop dumping chemicals in your pool, as what you have described so far, ie, using floc and clarifier, is counter-productive.

As for point 1, wait until your test kit arrives. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in the pool store that you need. Your pool is green; it did not get that way overnight and it will not be cleared overnight. If you feel you need to do something, then just add half a gallon of unscented, regular Clorox bleach to your pool everyday and circulate it with the pump on for 30mins to an hour. Scoop leaves and read Pool School while you wait for your test kit.

As for point #2, see my previous sentence - stop adding chemicals to your pool and do nothing but add bleach to it. The floc and clarifier are working at cross-purposes against one another and they can react and cause a bigger mess than what you have now. They are also going to clog up your filter because you should NEVER use floc unless you have the ability to vacuum to waste. Since you have a cartridge filter, you do not have the ability to vacuum to waste and the floc will plug up the cartridge and destroy it.

Please SLOW DOWN and let us help you. As I said, your pool did not go green overnight and it will not be cleared overnight. But, if you listen to folks here who are trying to help you, you WILL HAVE a beautiful pool soon enough.

Good luck.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Thanks for the reigning in lol. I need that I guess. I just want to get this right. Ok I'll hit it with bleach tommorrow then run it an hour and shut it off. No more Floccing. Just netting leaves and debris and reading pool school. Got it. Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can do a little reading also-

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

So, welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you and I will read them

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok so I now have a new deleopement. I got the new cartridge filter and it worked fine for one day the the flow of water just stopped . I took it out to clean it and I couldn't get it out! The filter was suctioned tight to the housing. I finally got it apart cleaned it well put it back and still very little pressure or skimming. I read somewhere it could be an air leak? Where would I check that ??

12. Back To Top    #12

More here about finding suction leaks, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can help you better. More here on what to put in your sig and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

hi and thanks again for advice on signature. I m doing a vacuum to waste today and see if i can get all the stuff off the bottom .its clearer now but still cloudy .i can see bottom. any advice? i got my Taylor test kit but need help trying to figure out how to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

hey again. i got my taylor test kit and need help figuring out how to do it .Pool is now clearer bottom is visible . also im doing a vacuum to waste to get stuff up off bottom . any advice or help ?
    AG P00L --17800 GAL . SHERLOK 120 CARTIDGE FILTER .ROUND LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD
    Pristine Blue trying to convert to chlorine.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

It would be best to follow the instructions included with your test kit. There are more detailed instructions available here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. And feel free to ask any questions here after reviewing the instructions.

Please do a FC, ph and CYA test first if you can. Whole test would be better, but if you are intimidated or confused, those would be the most important to figure out first.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you so much. Will be doing those very tests today . Vacuum to waste is going great . Already looks better and clearer. Takes time as I have to refill after about an hour of vac time but it's worth it. Will report back with readings.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok test results
    FC - 4ppm
    Ph- 6.8
    TA- 150
    Cya 100
    Got most all of green from bottom .
    Now there's patches of algae falling .
    Ran pump for 3 hrs on low and shutoff for night. Is a lot clearer now with few floaties in the water. What do I do now with results ? Or anything else

17. Back To Top    #17

Head over to pool math, plug in your numbers and you'll see your CYA is too high and PH is too low. The CYA is preventing your little bit of chlorine from doing any sanitizing. I would start with a 50% water replacement and go from there.
    13K gal, Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure, Jandy 2.0 ePump +SVRS, DEV-60, RB320, Stenner 45MP2, Polaris 280, Signature Heat/Cool Pump, iAqualink P6

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by bumpareed View Post
    Ok test results
    FC - 4ppm
    Ph- 6.8
    TA- 150
    Cya 100
    Got most all of green from bottom .
    Now there's patches of algae falling .
    Ran pump for 3 hrs on low and shutoff for night. Is a lot clearer now with few floaties in the water. What do I do now with results ? Or anything else
    100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

What you are doing is preparing for a SLAM
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool has been perfect on all tests now for three weeks ! Thanks to all that replied. Now my next question is what do I use for shock now ? A 6 in one ? Or stay away from those ?

20. Back To Top    #20

If you passed your OCLT test during the slam, then forget about shock, that is a pool store term to get you to spend money. Make sure you keep your numbers right and you would never have to shock.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast