Convert Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Feb 22, 2017
Alachua, FL
Hi . We bought an above ground pool in May of last year . My wife was sold by the shister pool place that Pristine Blue was like the second coming of Christ. Told us it's easier and cheaper to maintain its clearer and safer fir our kids and grandkids to swim in . Well it was very clear after I finally got the chemicals balanced but it never totally seemed clean. Then we started having to buy every chemical they sold when we tested it every week . This was off that was off it was getting ridiculous. Now I'm reading that it's not that safe. Some countries have banned it I read . So we are wanting to switch over to chlorine. The pool had been shut off last October and was totally leaf infested and green. I've been putting bleach in and clarifier to and got out a lot of leaves but it's still cloudy . I ordered a new paper filter as the crappy one that come with it just blows all the green gross water back into my pool with out filtering it. What should I do next. The ph alk and all else check out ok on the stores test . What's my next move ??

Welcome :wave: You need to read Pool School (button above). You also need to find out what is going on with your water and the best way to do that is get a test kit Pool School - Test Kits Compared. As you have found out already, the pool store may not be the best place to go. Once you have read, gotten your test results and found out the problem, then you can solve the issue. You are at the right place now!

Welcome to TFP,

The best way is to take over your own testing and treatment. Once you get a good handle on the basics it really is very easy, and there is no mystery to it as thousands here can attest. Start with the ABCs in Pool School while you are waiting on a good kit, and ask any questions you need to in the forum. Many, many people will be here waiting to help, because they were once where you are, and they love showing others how easy and nice it can be.

Tell us more about the pool, and please put those basics in your sig line. Size, filtration, etc so we can help you quicker, and better. Fish out all the muck you possibly can unless you plan on a drain, clean, and refill. Let us know how we can help, and enjoy the forum.

You can also click my sig line for some links you'll need.

Thank you fir the greeting ! Yes I ordered the Taylor test kit and have flocked the pool for 3 days . Now I'm slowly very slowly cleaning up the huge clouds of greeen on the bottom . Still digging out leaves now that I can actually see them lol . But yes the pool store wants me to come back and plunk down another 35 bucks for flocck and algae killer . Once I get the results I'll hit you guys up again with results . Thanks!!!

Thank you so much. Yes my pool is an AG pool at 30 ft round 5 ft deep and around 17500 gallons . It has a Sherlok 120 sq ft paper filter that I just changed the filter on cause the original one ( it's only 11 months old) died completely on me . It's been Pristine Blue from the get go cause we got suckered into doing it before we had all the info on it. The pool place is still telling me it's a big mistake switching to chlorine ! I still have a bunch of debris on the bottom I'm desperately working to get out. It's coming but slowly. What can I do to expedite this process. ??

Two pieces of advice for you -

1. Stop going to the pool store; they are there only to sell you stuff.

2. Stop dumping chemicals in your pool, as what you have described so far, ie, using floc and clarifier, is counter-productive.

As for point 1, wait until your test kit arrives. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in the pool store that you need. Your pool is green; it did not get that way overnight and it will not be cleared overnight. If you feel you need to do something, then just add half a gallon of unscented, regular Clorox bleach to your pool everyday and circulate it with the pump on for 30mins to an hour. Scoop leaves and read Pool School while you wait for your test kit.

As for point #2, see my previous sentence - stop adding chemicals to your pool and do nothing but add bleach to it. The floc and clarifier are working at cross-purposes against one another and they can react and cause a bigger mess than what you have now. They are also going to clog up your filter because you should NEVER use floc unless you have the ability to vacuum to waste. Since you have a cartridge filter, you do not have the ability to vacuum to waste and the floc will plug up the cartridge and destroy it.

Please SLOW DOWN and let us help you. As I said, your pool did not go green overnight and it will not be cleared overnight. But, if you listen to folks here who are trying to help you, you WILL HAVE a beautiful pool soon enough.

Good luck.

Ok. Thanks for the reigning in lol. I need that I guess. I just want to get this right. Ok I'll hit it with bleach tommorrow then run it an hour and shut it off. No more Floccing. Just netting leaves and debris and reading pool school. Got it. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I now have a new deleopement. I got the new cartridge filter and it worked fine for one day the the flow of water just stopped . I took it out to clean it and I couldn't get it out! The filter was suctioned tight to the housing. I finally got it apart cleaned it well put it back and still very little pressure or skimming. I read somewhere it could be an air leak? Where would I check that ??

hi and thanks again for advice on signature. I m doing a vacuum to waste today and see if i can get all the stuff off the bottom .its clearer now but still cloudy .i can see bottom. any advice? i got my Taylor test kit but need help trying to figure out how to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

hey again. i got my taylor test kit and need help figuring out how to do it .Pool is now clearer bottom is visible . also im doing a vacuum to waste to get stuff up off bottom . any advice or help ?

It would be best to follow the instructions included with your test kit. There are more detailed instructions available here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. And feel free to ask any questions here after reviewing the instructions.

Please do a FC, ph and CYA test first if you can. Whole test would be better, but if you are intimidated or confused, those would be the most important to figure out first.

Ok test results
FC - 4ppm
Ph- 6.8
TA- 150
Cya 100
Got most all of green from bottom .
Now there's patches of algae falling .
Ran pump for 3 hrs on low and shutoff for night. Is a lot clearer now with few floaties in the water. What do I do now with results ? Or anything else

Head over to pool math, plug in your numbers and you'll see your CYA is too high and PH is too low. The CYA is preventing your little bit of chlorine from doing any sanitizing. I would start with a 50% water replacement and go from there.

Ok test results
FC - 4ppm
Ph- 6.8
TA- 150
Cya 100
Got most all of green from bottom .
Now there's patches of algae falling .
Ran pump for 3 hrs on low and shutoff for night. Is a lot clearer now with few floaties in the water. What do I do now with results ? Or anything else
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

What you are doing is preparing for a SLAM Process

If you passed your OCLT test during the slam, then forget about shock, that is a pool store term to get you to spend money. Make sure you keep your numbers right and you would never have to shock.

Felipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.