What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

IMG_7826.jpg

It's been raining in Houston... we're finding clusters of winged ants in our pool... they're dropping in swarms from the sky. I had literally just scooped up most of them, dumped them on the grass, and then turned around and found three more clusters. What I'm hearing is that they migrate this time of year, and esp. after rainstorms, are attracted to pools of water.

Nothing more than some bugs. Lots of bugs (beattles, lady bugs) sometimes. One of my dog's furry toys was in there one time. Scared the you-know-what out of me. But I've heard horror stories. There are some things you can get to attach to your skimmer baskets to make them easier to pull out without having to stick you hand down in there. But I use skimmer socks on my baskets so they don't work for me. So I invested in this hook that I can use to pull the baskets out without my hands getting too close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034DZ0GO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm going to have nightmares.

I use a sock too and routinely feel like Indiana Jones sticking his hand into the bug-infested wall when I'm doing it at night. I'm wondering how it doesn't penetrate the sock using that? Or are you using an "unofficial" sock like a hairnet?

So we've given the task of cleaning out the skimmer baskets to our daughters, ages 9 and 12, as a way for them to contribute to the maintenance of our new pool. :) Their first time did not go so well... besides the pollen/leaves/debris of a rainstorm, there were huge spiders, beetles, and a dead frog... not a big deal really, but I guess they really don't like seeing dead things...

A how-to-clean-your-skimmer youtube video said that it's also possible to find dead rodents, snakes, etc... so just wondering what other things we should be prepared to find in these baskets??

Worst? dunno. probably several dead rotten nasty frogs. next to that would be 2 dead moles and 1 dead green frog I found today after 3 days of rain

Have found live and released:
Green frogs
Leopard frogs
Tree frogs,
turtle (not sure what, my wife found it, think it was a box turtle that fell in)
Garter snake
Ringneck snake (blue-black with orange ring)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just babies, but still...!
3ae5ec437fdeaa0ca9695d5bfb467e98.jpg

Tarantulas are pretty common, I find them in the pool and skimmers several times a week May thru July. Ssnakes, toads, voles, and an occasional star nosed mole.

I've had guests in my pool at night that have had a tarantula climb up their arm, swimsuit, etc. You'd think the lack of fins or a tail would be an impediment, but it's amazing how quickly a human can accelerate from 0 to 60mph while standing in water once they realize there's an extremely large spider on their upper body.

Seriously the worst job ever!!! Skimmers = buffets for wolf spiders! I use a fish tank net to clear out debris before taking out the skimmer basket and also use it to hook under the skimmer basket handle so I don’t have to reach in there.

Bats, mice, squirrels, frogs, snakes, and turtles.

This beauty is from when we opened this spring. We pushed it out of the skimmer area so we could use the long pole and net.
8e471aa212d8d66b804175da193f097e.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.