What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

Mostly Black Widows where I live. Just moved here and now learning how to deal with them especially in the fall. Killed a few with bodies the size of your thumb nail and had one on my shoulder. That creeped me out.

Mostly Black Widows where I live. Just moved here and now learning how to deal with them especially in the fall. Killed a few with bodies the size of your thumb nail and had one on my shoulder. That creeped me out.

dbtgallery.php

I have found all kinds of interesting things...sometimes I forget to take a picture. All of these were on my route so none from my pool.
20170405_121912.jpg
Pulled this guy out the other day, almost 2 ft long. Thought I should take a pic before he was gone.

20170321_153605.jpg
This one came out of the skimmer and swam to the bottom. It was big sucker! Just barely smaller than the opening.

20170221_150238.jpg
About 7in long!

20170221_093403.jpg
A rat and a snail...meal and an appetizer lol

We found a dead squirrel last year when we went to cover the pool and winterize everything. We haven't found anything in the skimmers yet (but it's mostly been giant spiders that scare the bejeesus out of you when grabbing for the skimmer angel) but I did have a small snake come out of my pump motor housing when I fired it up for the first time last weekend. We couldn't really tell if it was a baby rat snake or a small cottonmouth. Honestly I was on top of my HVAC unit when I saw it pop out before killing it with a piece of 1.5" pvc pipe I had used to replumb all of the lines going to the filter that morning so I didn't really take a good look at it. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The usual, frogs, mice, a rat.

I learned quickly to not blindly stick my hand in the skimmer basket to clean out leaves. We had our pool a month or so and I did this and thought "wow, a furry leaf, that's weird..." it was a dead rat.

We found a frog in our pump basket. My wife and I have debated how it was even possible. Our guess is it was sucked up somehow unknowingly when vacuuming. It was in the pump basket for a while, maybe a week or two? I'm sure that didn't help with chlorine usage..

That's a big ole spider. We have a bunch of wolf spiders, and occasionally a big dark brown field spider, or whatever they're called. I got one out of the skimmer the other day and let it go while the kids watched. It went over to some landscape rocks and hunkered down to hide. It was a good learning experience for the kids. I said look he's afraid of us, and we act like sissies and freak out when we see him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.