Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa draining into pool, ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa draining into pool, ideas?

Hey,

I have a pool/spa that I'm having a few issues with. The spa empties about 3/4 the water during day back into the pool. I replaced two spring check values for the bottom and therapy jets, but that made no difference.

Not sure what else could be causing this?

I've attached photos of my system for reference.

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8otl2lab4bimor1/AADThr5ubcQUM7oJHv3piUWja?dl=0
    Last edited by Shap; 03-27-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added photo link

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa draining into pool, ideas?

I've had this "problem", off and on for years. When the filter shuts off the spa drains into the pool with spa level going down to the jets. Doesn't really bother me but if there's a fix I'd be interested.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No one with suggestions?

Size of pool (gallons) = 15,000
    Pool Type: is IG (in ground)
    Construction: Plaster
    Filter type: DE
    Filter Manufacturer: SM/SMBW 2000 Series
    the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
    Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    Date of pool build/install = circa 2001
    with spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Elevated spa? In line chlorine puck feeder? More info is needed (possibly some piping pic would help) to give a recco. Normally if a raised spa, a checkvalve leak is most likely. Some chlorine feeders plumb into the pool return lines will do this too ( ask me how I know��). Since you replaced the checks, take them apart and ensure no glue dripped into the rubber seat area and verify the checks dont have a drilled hole in the flapper (like is done for some solar install checks and diverter valves)
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Is that how you usually have the valves set in the pic? Try turning the spa return back on...are the pool returns off too in that pic?
    13k Gallon IG Pebble w/ attached Spa, AquaRite T-Cell-15 SWG, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Hayward 400k Heater, TF-100 Kit, Pool Logger

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RussellC View Post
    Is that how you usually have the valves set in the pic? Try turning the spa return back on...are the pool returns off too in that pic?
    Yes that is usually how I have them set for cleaning. With spa return on, it would lower pressure of pop up cleaners and cause non stop spill over from spa to pool.

Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    with spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    Elevated spa? In line chlorine puck feeder? More info is needed (possibly some piping pic would help) to give a recco. Normally if a raised spa, a checkvalve leak is most likely. Some chlorine feeders plumb into the pool return lines will do this too ( ask me how I know��). Since you replaced the checks, take them apart and ensure no glue dripped into the rubber seat area and verify the checks dont have a drilled hole in the flapper (like is done for some solar install checks and diverter valves)
    Hi, see the link for bunch of pipe photos. I'll double check the replacements I used as suggested. No in line Florine feeder.

Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    with spa

8. Back To Top    #8

It drains when the pump is running? not when it is off? And you have the spa suction and return closed? If that is the case, looking at your picture, the only thing I can think is the check the suction side valve diverter for leaks.
    13k Gallon IG Pebble w/ attached Spa, AquaRite T-Cell-15 SWG, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Hayward 400k Heater, TF-100 Kit, Pool Logger

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RussellC View Post
    It drains when the pump is running? not when it is off? And you have the spa suction and return closed? If that is the case, looking at your picture, the only thing I can think is the check the suction side valve diverter for leaks.
    When the pump is off it drains

Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    with spa