Spa draining into pool, ideas?

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey,

I have a pool/spa that I'm having a few issues with. The spa empties about 3/4 the water during day back into the pool. I replaced two spring check values for the bottom and therapy jets, but that made no difference.

Not sure what else could be causing this?

I've attached photos of my system for reference.

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8otl2lab4bimor1/AADThr5ubcQUM7oJHv3piUWja?dl=0

Last edited:

Frankhugus

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2016
Danville, CA
I've had this "problem", off and on for years. When the filter shuts off the spa drains into the pool with spa level going down to the jets. Doesn't really bother me but if there's a fix I'd be interested.

Rossterman

Jun 5, 2016
Martinez, CA
Elevated spa? In line chlorine puck feeder? More info is needed (possibly some piping pic would help) to give a recco. Normally if a raised spa, a checkvalve leak is most likely. Some chlorine feeders plumb into the pool return lines will do this too ( ask me how I know��). Since you replaced the checks, take them apart and ensure no glue dripped into the rubber seat area and verify the checks dont have a drilled hole in the flapper (like is done for some solar install checks and diverter valves)

OP
OP
S

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Is that how you usually have the valves set in the pic? Try turning the spa return back on...are the pool returns off too in that pic?
Yes that is usually how I have them set for cleaning. With spa return on, it would lower pressure of pop up cleaners and cause non stop spill over from spa to pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Elevated spa? In line chlorine puck feeder? More info is needed (possibly some piping pic would help) to give a recco. Normally if a raised spa, a checkvalve leak is most likely. Some chlorine feeders plumb into the pool return lines will do this too ( ask me how I know��). Since you replaced the checks, take them apart and ensure no glue dripped into the rubber seat area and verify the checks dont have a drilled hole in the flapper (like is done for some solar install checks and diverter valves)
Hi, see the link for bunch of pipe photos. I'll double check the replacements I used as suggested. No in line Florine feeder.

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
It drains when the pump is running? not when it is off? And you have the spa suction and return closed? If that is the case, looking at your picture, the only thing I can think is the check the suction side valve diverter for leaks.

OP
OP
S

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
It drains when the pump is running? not when it is off? And you have the spa suction and return closed? If that is the case, looking at your picture, the only thing I can think is the check the suction side valve diverter for leaks.
When the pump is off it drains