Not sure what to do

Mar 23, 2016
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey all, been on here for a while. Pool finished a few months ago and here is where I'm struggling.

Im struggling to know where to set some setting with the VS pool and the cartridge filter.

I think I'm good with the standard Turnover needed per day. Done the math and I think I'm good understanding I can run the VS at 1000RPM for set period of time to get the turnover needed.

Let start here.....
  1. For Turnover, where do you set the Jandy Valve, does it matter? Main Drain Vs Skimmer or how much to either side.
  2. For Floor Cleaning, while the PV3 in floor cleaner (with independent booster) is on, What speed do you run the VS filter pump? Max so that its sucking in as much as possible while cleaning?
  3. And while floor cleaning where do you set the Jandy Valve, does it matter? Main Drain Vs Skimmer. I assume mostly so that the skimmer is almost off. All the way off can cause pump strain at high RPMs, Right?
  4. And with a VS filter pump... how do you measure the pressure to know when you need to clean the filter? at full RPM? with Jandy Main vs Skimmer... and to add another variable.. where do you put the Pool return vs water feature valve to measure....

so many variables.... Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 4.53.03 PM.jpg

I'll take one of your assumptions/question. There is no standard one turnover of your entire pool water on a daily basis needed or required. Enough to keep the chemicals mixed and however clean you want to keep the surface is YOUR minimum, be it 4, 6 or 8 hours.

As far as how to tell when to clean the filter...

You initially need to know what the pressure is when the filter is clean and the pump is running at let's say 2,500 RPM.

Then whenever you want to check too see if it is time to clean the filter, you ramp the pump up to 2,500, and if the pressure has increased by 25 to 30% above the clean pressure then it is time to clean the cartridge.

The exact RPM is not all that important as long as you check the clean and dirty tests at the same RPM. Now at a low RPM like 1,000, your pressure would be 1 or 2 pounds and pretty hard to see a 25% increase. That is why I suggest you use something around 2,500 RPM..

It is something that I don't even worry about. I just clean my filter twice a year, once before the pool season begins and once after it ends.

Sorry, I do not have an in-floor cleaning system, so I have no reference as to where to set your valves or speeds..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

As far as how to tell when to clean the filter...

You initially need to know what the pressure is when the filter is clean and the pump is running at let's say 2,500 RPM.

Then whenever you want to check too see if it is time to clean the filter, you ramp the pump up to 2,500, and if the pressure has increased by 25 to 30% above the clean pressure then it is time to clean the cartridge.

The exact RPM is not all that important as long as you check the clean and dirty tests at the same RPM. Now at a low RPM like 1,000, your pressure would be 1 or 2 pounds and pretty hard to see a 25% increase. That is why I suggest you use something around 2,500 RPM..

It is something that I don't even worry about. I just clean my filter twice a year, once before the pool season begins and once after it ends.

Sorry, I do not have an in-floor cleaning system, so I have no reference as to where to set your valves or speeds..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Ok that answers number 4. I'll have to clean the filters and create that baseline, with all settings for a Pressure test.

With regards to skimmer/main drain - I'd put 75% skimmer, 25% drain. I like to have some water being pulled from the drains to help circulate the water in the deep end (especially since I don't have jets very near my deep end area. That said, some people turn theirs off - at least have a little bit of suction through them to keep fresh, chlorinated water in the pipes. :) In the end, you want enough water being pulled through the skimmer to suck in debris as it goes by at your "skimming RPMs" - usually the lowest pump setting that will run the stuff you want to run.

I'm not really sure about main drain vs. skimmer for in-floor cleaners. It seems to me that the dirt will be stirred into the water as a whole by the floor cleaning system, and based on some other posts by experts here (and personal experience playing with debris in my pool), main drains don't really pull things that are very far away from them - so between the return jets and the in floor cleaners, it seems to me that the dirt is mixed into the water as a whole, so your normal skim/drain setting would probably be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.