Today's DUMBEST question!

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
So, squeezie and I are schlepping along in Homie D's pondering the height of their ceilings and how much concrete they poured to make the place...and wondering where the golly they put the POOL SALT. Turns out, it was in the plumbing section, just downstream from the spigots and what not.

They have plenties of salts. All of them in jumbo, 40 pound bags. For those of you from foreign lands, or those of you steeped in the ways of the mother land, that's a 18.1437 kgs...apparently NOT caps, and not with an apostrophe!!! (Squeezie is quite the grammarist) IOW, big bags of NaCl.

Here (as I am sure you are just dying to know by now) is my query....WHAT is the diff between POOL SALT and WATER SOFTENER SALT besides 3 dollar per bag?

Cuz....I'm pretty cheap. And I usually end up adding 5-8 bags per season. And, at 3 times 8....I could buy a CASE of Stella at Costco, and have 4 bucks to buy bleach at Dollar General to boot!

I'm also confused about NatGas and LP gas. Which one has more Britches Thermocouple units per jibjab? And, why are PERSIAN rugs so expensive? What about the Lindbergh baby? Why is Kevin O'Leary such a jerk? Why does dark air, produce less lift?

Softener salt...sometimes has additives for cleaning the resin of Iron...and what not. That that does not, is the same as plain old salt. Look at the purity on the bag, and just buy the stuff without the additives. It's plainly marked.

I'm all over the Stella from Costco, but geez, be careful with the dollar store bleach.

It sometimes is only worth a dollar when the bleach is 3%. Check the label and date code carefully and if your pool responds the way you expect.

Walmart bleach (and I despise Wallyworld*) is usually your best bet....check in the pool section for their Pool Liquid Chlorine 10%. Compare prices.

Look for the solar salt. No additives and just larger chunks than the pool salt. So instead of dissolving in 2 minutes like the pool salt, it might take 10 minutes. Plus the kids like to play with it as it dissolves.

All great replies! Many thanks. This is a terrific forum!

Turns out, WallyWorld (which I also despise) has pool salt for just over 5 bucks per 40 lb bag. So, there's a tidy savings. They also have shredded brown mulch for 2 bucks per 2 cu. ft. bag which is at least a buck cheaper than HD, or a dollar sixty-seven if you buy the nicer stuff.

As for VB, I am (alas) a come here in 1995, an interloper if you will along with being a pool neophyte. But I have learned a few things, and Leslie isn't one of them. ;)

Good for you!

I buy solar crystals for my softener, and it's just clean rock salt. Buying "pool salt" is just silly. It's too early for a clever, cheeky analogy but you know what I mean. Glad you found us. It is a great place that helps lots a peeps with their Pools.

For the rest of your questions. :)

I'm also confused about NatGas and LP gas. Which one has more Britches Thermocouple units per jibjab?
Propane has 2.4 times more energy per unit than natural gas but is still nearly always more expensive to use, often significantly more.

And, why are PERSIAN rugs so expensive?
Because they are handmade and take a long time to make.

What about the Lindbergh baby?
What lindbergh baby?

Why is Kevin O'Leary such a jerk?
Who?

Why does dark air, produce less lift?
Because it is colder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.