Dallas, TX
I have a 16,500 gallon SWG pool.

Using the TF-100, I ran the tests and got:

FC: 5
pH: 7.8
CH: 300
TA: 200
CYA: 85

Today, I threw in a little over 2 pounds of dry acid, and the pH lowered to 7.2, but the TA is still around 150 or 160.

Is there something else I should be doing to get my TA down? Or can I just wait until the pH goes up a bit, then lower it to keep bringing down alkalinity over time?

J,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for your chemistry questions.. :testkit:

The first rule is if your pH is stable then having the TA a little high is not a problem.

You really should be using liquid Muriatic Acid rather than dry acid.

Following this process will help you lower TA and then increase your pH. You will have to do it several times before you will get to where you want to be..

This process.... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

For most people with SWCG pools, keeping pH at 7.7 or 7.8 works best.. Trying to constantly drop pH to 7.2 will just cause it to increase faster.. If you have any water features they work great to cause aeration and increase your pH. This is perfect when you are trying to increase your pH, but not so much when you don't want it to increase.

Please help us help you by filling out your signature so we have a clue about your pool and equipment.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim has you covered. I'll just say, TA is one parameter we seldom loose sleep over. In most pools, pH tends to rise and we add Muratic acid to lower it. Over time the TA will come down on its own. Its only when pH rises too quickly that we intervene and force the TA down quicker.

I am more worried about your CYA. First, there is no 85, so your CYA is really 90. How do you chlorinate your pool? Tabs? Solid shock?

Jim has you covered. I'll just say, TA is one parameter we seldom loose sleep over. In most pools, pH tends to rise and we add Muratic acid to lower it. Over time the TA will come down on its own. Its only when pH rises too quickly that we intervene and force the TA down quicker.

I am more worried about your CYA. First, there is no 85, so your CYA is really 90. How do you chlorinate your pool? Tabs? Solid shock?

It's a SWG as of about 3 weeks ago. It was previously chlorinated with tabs, so I'm not particularly worried about the current CYA, as I am fairly confident it will continue lowering a bit over time as the water evaporates and refills.

Ahh, didn't realize that. Well then I'll have to count on splash out and backwashing to bring it down. Either way, not particularly worried in a salt pool in Texas.
Yes, this is why we watch CYA and CH. As water evaporates these stay behind. So, if your fill water is high CH you will always battle rising CH levels. Plus, if you use tabs for chlorination the CYA will rise uncontrollably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.